Uniqueness of λ in Schwarz inequality proof from Spivak

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
SrEstroncio
Messages
60
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



In an effort to keep me from spending all summer lying on the couch, I recently started reading Michael Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds; while working on problem 1-6 I got stuck on a technical detail and I was wondering if anyone could provide a little insight.

Problem 1-6 says:
Let [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex] be integrable functions on [itex][a,b][/itex].
Prove that [itex]|\int_a^b fg | \leq (\int_a^b f^2)^{1/2}(\int_a^b g^2)^{1/2}[/itex].

Homework Equations



He suggests that you treat the cases [itex]0=\int_a^b (f-\lambda g)^2[/itex] for some [itex]\lambda \in R[/itex] and [itex]0 \lt \int_a^b (f-\lambda g)^2[/itex] for all [itex]\lambda[/itex] separately.

The Attempt at a Solution



My question is: how do I know the [itex]\lambda[/itex] is unique?
Considering the two cases given above I got a cuadratic expression in [itex]\lambda[/itex] whose discriminant gave me the strict inequality when [tex]0 \lt \int_a^b (f-\lambda g)^2[/tex] for all [itex]\lambda[/itex] (since there are no real roots of the equation), but in order to conclude that [\tex] |\int_a^b fg | \leq (\int_a^b f^2)^{1/2}(\int_a^b g^2)^{1/2} [/tex] I am forced to assume that the discriminant of the equation is equal to zero (otherwise I get [tex]|\int_a^b fg | \geq (\int_a^b f^2)^{1/2}(\int_a^b g^2)^{1/2}[/tex], which is obviously wrong), meaning that there is only one root of the equation, or equivalently that the lambda that satisfies [itex]0=\int_a^b (f-\lambda g)^2[/itex] is unique, fact that I feel must be proven, not assumed).

How do I know said lambda is unique? Keep in mind that since f and g are integrable (but may not be continuous) one cannot assume that [tex]0=\int_a^b (f)^2[/tex] implies [tex]f=0[/tex].
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose that:
[tex] \int (f-\lambda g)^{2}>0[/tex]
Then:
[tex] \lambda^{2}\int g^{2}-2\lambda\int fg +\int f^{2}>0[/tex]
Consider this as a quadratic in [itex]\lambda[/itex], what does this statement say? It says that the entire quadratic lies above the x-axis which in turn implies that there are no real roots which is turn puts a condition on the discriminant of this quadratic.

For the case:
[tex] \int (f-\lambda g)^{2}=0[/tex]
The statement means that [itex](f-\lambda g)^{2}=0[/itex], so what does that say about f and g?
 
For the case:
[tex] \int (f-\lambda g)^{2}=0[/tex]
The statement means that [itex](f-\lambda g)^{2}=0[/itex], so what does that say about f and g?

We do not know if [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex] are continuous, we only assume them to be integrable, so it is not necessarily true that
[tex] \int (f-\lambda g)^{2}=0[/tex]
implies [itex](f-\lambda g)^{2}=0[/itex], since [itex]f-\lambda g[/itex] could be zero except at an isolated number of points (it's integral would still be zero but the function won't be zero everywhere).

Maybe I should elaborate on my question. Suppose
[tex] \int (f-\lambda g)^{2}=0,[/tex]
then
[tex] {\lambda}^2 \int g^2 -2\lambda \int fg + \int f^2 =0.[/tex]
Solving for [itex]\lambda[/itex] I get
[tex] \lambda = \frac{2\int fg \pm \sqrt{4{\int fg}^2 -4(\int f^2)(\int g^2)}{2\int g^2}.[/tex]
Now if the discriminant of the above equation is equal to zero we obtain
[tex] {\int fg}^2 -(\int f^2)(\int g^2) =0[/tex]
from which we obtain the equality part of the problem. But how do I know there's exactly one lambda that satisfies the equation? What if the equation had two real solutions? so that [itex]\Delta \geq 0[/itex], then we would have
[tex] {\int fg}^2 -(\int f^2)(\int g^2) \geq 0[/tex]
and we would conclude that
[tex] {\int fg}^2 \geq (\int f^2)(\int g^2),[/tex]
which is nonsense. How do I prove the equation has only one solution so that the above explained does not happen?
 
Last edited:
What type of integral are you using? Riemann or Lebesgue? The answer may be different depending on what you choose.