Deriving the Unit Normal for an Epicycloid: Understanding Equation 3.2.29

In summary, the conversation discusses how to derive the unit normal for a specific equation. The norm and unit normal equations are provided, and it is noted that the (r+p) term cancels out in the simplification. The conversation ends with an appreciation for the help.
bugatti79
Hi Folks,

I got stuck towards the end where it ask to derive the unit normal (eqn 3.2.29 I don't know how they arrived at [tex]n_x[/tex]. I have looked at trig identities...and I have assumed the following

[tex]n_x=\frac{N_x}{|N_x|}[/tex]

I don't see the (r+p) term anywhere in neither the top nor bottom.

PS: I have posted this in MHB on Tues but no response.
http://mathhelpboards.com/calculus-10/unit-normal-epicycloid-16922.html

Thanks

Attachments

• Unit Normal.jpg
    Unit Normal.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 448
Physics news on Phys.org
The norm of the normal vector is ##|\mathbf{N}| = \sqrt{ N_x^2 + N_y^2 }##. The unit normal is ##\mathbf{n} = \mathbf{N}/ |\mathbf{N}|##, so
$$ n_x = \frac{ N_x}{\sqrt{N_x^2 + N_y^2}}.$$
In particular, there are common factors of ##r+\rho## in the numerator and denominator that cancel out. The rest of the simplification of the denominator can be accomplished with some trig identities.

Likes bugatti79
Ok, great thanks. I should work it out now.

1. What is a unit normal for epicycloid?

A unit normal for epicycloid is a vector that is perpendicular to the curve of an epicycloid at a given point. It is a fundamental concept in differential geometry and is used to calculate the curvature and other properties of the curve.

2. How is a unit normal vector calculated for an epicycloid?

The unit normal vector for an epicycloid can be calculated using the first and second derivatives of the epicycloid equation. The formula for the unit normal vector is N(t) = (x''(t), y''(t)) / ||(x''(t), y''(t))||, where x''(t) and y''(t) represent the second derivatives of the x and y coordinates of the epicycloid, respectively.

3. Why is the unit normal vector important in the study of epicycloids?

The unit normal vector is important because it helps to determine the curvature of an epicycloid at a given point. It also helps to determine the direction of the curve at that point, which is useful in applications such as designing gears and calculating the trajectory of a particle moving along the curve.

4. How does the unit normal for an epicycloid change as the curve is traversed?

As the curve of an epicycloid is traversed, the unit normal vector also changes. This is because the direction and curvature of the curve changes at each point. The unit normal vector at any given point is always perpendicular to the curve at that point.

5. Can the unit normal vector be used to calculate other properties of an epicycloid?

Yes, the unit normal vector can be used to calculate other properties of an epicycloid, such as the tangent vector and the binormal vector. These vectors are important in understanding the behavior of the curve and can be used in various applications, such as animation and engineering design.