Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit problem in differential equation

1. Jul 20, 2011 #1
    I have one differential equation like
    dN/dt=c*(other terms with no unit)
    unit of c is 1/ns. Now if I solve this equation, I will get value of N corresponding to t.
    (1) Then what will be the unit of t?
    (2) and if I calculate dN/dt1=(other terms with no unit). where t1=t/c.
    Then what will be the unit of t1?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2011 #2

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

As I see it you have three possible units [N], [t] and [c], and I nonlimensionalise according to [itex]N=N_{d}\bar{N}[/itex], [itex]t=t_{d}\bar{t}[/itex] and [itex]c=c_{d}\bar{c}[/itex]. There I put all the dimensions into the quantities with subscript d. So this turns the differential equation into:
    [tex]
    \frac{d\bar{N}}{d\bar{t}}=\frac{c_{d}t_{d}}{N_{d}}\bar{c}
    [/tex]
    Where [itex]c_{d}t_{d}/N_{d}[/itex] is a nondimensional quantity. Does this clear things up?

4. Jul 20, 2011 #3
    t will be in ns. Your RHS has dimensions of time-1. dN/dt also has dimensions of time-1. So everything matches.

Are you sure you want to divide t by c? Maybe I'm confused, but I think it would make more sense to multiply t by c, in order to get a dimensionless version of the equation. For instance, if you define [itex]\tau=ct[/itex], then you get [itex]\frac{dN}{d\tau}=\mbox{(other terms)}[/itex] and c has gone away.

5. Jul 20, 2011 #4
    --------------------------
    Thank you. Sorry for mistake. I have to multiply t by c. Then I will get value of N for different times but then time has no unit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook