Unitary Matrix Representation for SU(2) Group: Derivation and Verification

In summary, the matrix representation ##U## for the group ##SU(2)## is given by the expression above, where ##\alpha## and ##\beta## are complex numbers and ##|\alpha|^{2}+|\beta|^{2}=1##. This can be derived using the unitarity of ##U## and the fact that ##\text{det}\ U=1##. However, not every complex ##2\times 2## matrix with unit determinant is necessarily unitary. The most general form of such a matrix is ##U= \begin{bmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \\ \end{bmatrix}## where ##a,b,c,d \in \mathbb{
spaghetti3451
The matrix representation ##U## for the group ##SU(2)## is given by

##U = \begin{bmatrix}
\alpha & -\beta^{*} \\
\beta & \alpha^{*} \\
\end{bmatrix}##

where ##\alpha## and ##\beta## are complex numbers and ##|\alpha|^{2}+|\beta|^{2}=1##.

This can be derived using the unitary of ##U## and the fact that ##\text{det}\ U=1##.Is any complex ##2\times 2## matrix with unit determinant necessarily unitary?Consider the following argument:

##\text{det}\ (U) = 1##
##(\text{det}\ U)(\text{det}\ U) = 1##
##(\text{det}\ U^{\dagger})(\text{det}\ U) = 1##
##\text{det}\ (U^{\dagger}U) = 1##
##\text{det}\ (U^{\dagger}U) = \text{det}\ (U)##
##U^{\dagger}U = U##
##U^{\dagger}= 1##

Where's my mistake in this argument?

Physics news on Phys.org
##\det(A) = \det(B)## does not imply ##A=B##.

Thanks!

I was wondering what is the most general form of the complex ##2 \times 2 ## matrix with unit determinant.

My first hunch was that it is the ##2\times 2## matrix representation of the ##SU(2)## group, but then, a complex ##2 \times 2 ## matrix with unit determinant is not necessarily ##SU(2)##.

Can you help me with finding the most general form of the complex ##2 \times 2 ## matrix with unit determinant?

failexam said:
Can you help me with finding the most general form of the complex 2×22×22 \times 2 matrix with unit determinant?
I don't think there's anything special about it. As far as I know, it's just:
$$U= \begin{bmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \\ \end{bmatrix}$$
where ##a,b,c,d \in \mathbb{C}## and ##ad-bc = 1##.

Likes spaghetti3451

1. What is a unitary matrix representation for the SU(2) group?

A unitary matrix representation for the SU(2) group is a mathematical tool used to describe the symmetries of a system or physical phenomenon. It is a matrix that satisfies certain properties, such as being square, complex, and having a determinant of 1. In the context of the SU(2) group, unitary matrix representations are used to describe the rotations and transformations of particles in quantum mechanics.

2. How is the unitary matrix representation for the SU(2) group derived?

The unitary matrix representation for the SU(2) group is derived using the principles of group theory, specifically the representation theory of Lie groups. This involves finding a set of matrices that satisfy the defining properties of the SU(2) group, such as unitarity and determinant equal to 1. These matrices are then used to construct a representation of the group, which can then be applied to describe physical systems.

3. What is the significance of the unitary matrix representation for the SU(2) group in physics?

In physics, the unitary matrix representation for the SU(2) group is significant because it allows us to describe the symmetries and transformations of quantum mechanical systems. This is particularly important in the study of particles and their interactions, as the SU(2) group is closely related to the concept of spin. The unitary matrix representation also plays a crucial role in the development of quantum field theory, which is a fundamental framework for understanding the behavior of particles.

4. How is the unitary matrix representation for the SU(2) group verified?

The unitary matrix representation for the SU(2) group can be verified through various methods, including direct calculation and comparison with known solutions. In physics, the unitary matrix representation is often tested through experimental measurements and observations, which can confirm the predictions made by the theory. Additionally, the consistency of the representation with other theoretical frameworks, such as quantum mechanics and special relativity, can also provide evidence for its validity.

5. Are there other types of matrix representations for the SU(2) group?

Yes, there are various types of matrix representations for the SU(2) group, including the fundamental representation, adjoint representation, and spinor representation. Each of these representations has its own unique properties and applications in physics. The unitary matrix representation is just one example and is particularly useful for describing the symmetries and transformations of quantum mechanical systems.