Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Universal Gravitation Constant - HELP

1. Sep 21, 2013 #1
    Universal Gravitation Constant - HELP!!

Hello, I'm a little confused...

What is the difference between the "Constant of Universal Gravitation" and the "Gravitational Force"? I know that there is a radius between two or more objects like the Earth and the Moon and bla bla bla... But the thing that I wanna know is the "Constant of Universal Gravitation". Is it the force between the two objects??

I would be grateful if someone could answer my question!

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2013 #2

adjacent

Gold Member

Force between moon earth and blah blah is

## F=\frac{Gm1m2}{d2} ##

F is the force. G is the universal gravitational constant

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  4. Sep 21, 2013 #3
    Force is variable (something you compute) depending on the masses and the distance between the masses. The constant is, well a constant.

No, it's a universal constant, G ≈ 6.67 x 10-11 Nm2/kg2. See Gravity (HyperPhysics) and/or Gravitational constant.

5. Sep 21, 2013 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Newton's law of gravitation essentially says that gravitational force between two bodies is proportional to the product of their masses divided by the square of the separation between their centres of mass (mM/r^2). G is the proportionality constant relating the magnitude of the force to mM/r^2. In math terms, G is equal to the Force divided by (mM/r^2).

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook