Universal Gravitation: Does It Apply to Every Particle in the Universe?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
MHD93
Messages
93
Reaction score
0
Hello all,

1) Does the universal gravitation law apply to every two particles in the universe, no matter how far they are from each other?

For instance, is there a gravitation force between the pen in my hand and the farthest particle(or star) in the universe, I don't care how small this force is, but I am asking about its existence.

2) Is this law what makes the atoms of a solid material stick together, and makes it rigid?

Thanks a lot
Mohammad
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hello Mohammad! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Mohammad_93 said:
1) Does the universal gravitation law apply to every two particles in the universe, no matter how far they are from each other?

For instance, is there a gravitation force between the pen in my hand and the farthest particle(or star) in the universe, I don't care how small this force is, but I am asking about its existence.

Yup! :biggrin:
2) Is this law what makes the atoms of a solid material stick together, and makes it rigid?

No, that is done by the electromagnetic force, between the electrons of the different molecules. :wink:
 
Hello Mohammad! I am new here too!
Mohammad_93 said:
Hello all,

1) Does the universal gravitation law apply to every two particles in the universe, no matter how far they are from each other?

For instance, is there a gravitation force between the pen in my hand and the farthest particle(or star) in the universe, I don't care how small this force is, but I am asking about its existence.

well for this part of the question the answer is, just like tiny-tim said, Yes. Since the quantitative equation is
F=Gm1m2
__________________________
R2


Your pen in your hand has mass so does the distant star. Hence there is force existing but the thing is it is very very very small.