University of HK VS The Chinese university of HK

• Schools
  • Thread starter Zweig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for opinions on universities with graduate physics programs, specifically for research in relativistic astrophysics. They are interested in schools in Hong Kong and have not been able to find much information on Google. Another person suggests Singapore or Beijing University for their rankings in physics. The original person is more interested in first-hand experiences from students who have studied at these universities. They also mention that Hong Kong universities have strong funding and connections to top technology and professors who have studied in top US universities. The conversation ends with a discussion on the best university in Asia for physics, with the University of Tokyo being mentioned as a top option for its English-taught master's program.
Zweig
Hi,

I'm looking for opinions on these universities about graduate physics program (quality of courses, labs etc ...). I'm interested in doing research in relativistic astrophysics. I can't find anything on Google, so maybe some of you have already studied there and could tell me more !

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me ask you why do you want to apply to schools in HK?

If you are an English speaking student, and want to go to school in Asia, Singapore is the best bet; their official language is English and National University of Singapore is pretty good (rank 20).

If you know Chinese, then Beijing University is still better in physics than the HK schools; ranked 27 vs. 51-100 (both of the HK schools).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/higher-ed...100-universities-world-physics-astronomy-2011

In fact, I wanted some comments from people who already studied there, especially in order to do not see people who swear by ranking ;-). But I thank you for your msg.

First of all, english is the official language of all HK's universities. Secondly, University of HK and the Chinese university have many funds, in top technology, many prof have done their PhD in top ranked US universities as Caltech and finally, many HK students have already done Master or PhD there. Consequently, I don't really think that HK's universities are that bad in physics research & teaching.

I heard good thing about Beijing university, unfortunately, I don't speak chinese ...

According to your ranking, the best univ in asia for physics is in fact the University of Tokyo (where its master's degree is taught in english ;-))

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between University of HK and The Chinese University of HK?

The two universities are both highly reputable institutions in Hong Kong, but they have distinct differences. University of HK is a research-focused university, while The Chinese University of HK is known for its liberal arts curriculum. Additionally, University of HK has a larger student population and offers a wider range of academic programs compared to The Chinese University of HK.

2. Which university has a better ranking?

Both universities have consistently ranked among the top universities in Asia and the world. However, University of HK is generally ranked higher in international rankings such as the QS World University Rankings and Times Higher Education World University Rankings.

3. What are the admission requirements for these universities?

The admission requirements for University of HK and The Chinese University of HK vary depending on the program and level of study. Generally, both universities require high academic achievement, strong extracurricular activities, and a competitive entrance exam score.

4. What is the campus atmosphere like at these universities?

The campus atmosphere at University of HK is more urban and modern, as it is located in the bustling city of Hong Kong. On the other hand, The Chinese University of HK has a more traditional and tranquil atmosphere, as it is situated in the countryside. However, both universities offer a diverse and vibrant student community.

5. Which university has a better faculty?

Both universities have highly qualified and experienced faculty members. However, University of HK has a larger number of international faculty members and collaborations with top universities around the world, making it a more diverse and globally connected academic community.