University of Toronto and university of British Columbia

In summary, the person is an Indian student with a 12th standard percentage of 94%, including high scores in math and physics. They are a member of two NGOs and have a SAT score of 2150. They are seeking information about their chances of admission to the University of Toronto and the University of British Columbia, particularly for physics and math majors. They are also curious about minimum SAT score requirements and scholarships for Indian students. The conversation suggests that admission is likely not an issue with their grades, but they should contact the universities for more specific information. The speaker also mentions that high school courses are important for undergraduate admissions in Canada and it is possible to receive academic scholarships with high grades. The conversation also touches on the differences in
ujjwal3097
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what are my chances for university of Toronto and university of British Columbia
I am indian student with 12th standard percentage of 94%(maths 95/100 and physics 93/100)
and i have other core extra curricular activities and I am member of 2 NGOs
my SAT score-2150
maths level 2-800
physics-800

any help appriciated
thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Have you emailed them for rough acceptance requirements?
i didn't get what are trying to say.
can u please elaborate

ujjwal3097 said:
i didn't get what are trying to say.
can u please elaborate
They have admissions advisors that might be able to tell you minimum requirements for acceptance

Greg Bernhardt said:
They have admissions advisors that might be able to tell you minimum requirements for acceptance
University of British Columbia has cut-off of 74% in 12th standard for indian students and i am also qualified for other requirements as well .(same goes for university of Toronto)
What I want to know is that on UBC site there was no information about minimum SAT score requirements so on the basis of information provided what are the chances and please tell if the universities(UBC AND Uof-T) are good for physics and maths major .

I'm somewhat familiar with the Canadian system and based on your grades I think your chances are good; it would help a lot if A. you had a professor lined up who wants to work with you and B. you had scholarships from the Indian granting agencies.

Likes ujjwal3097
th
klotza said:
I'm somewhat familiar with the Canadian system and based on your grades I think your chances are good; it would help a lot if A. you had a professor lined up who wants to work with you and B. you had scholarships from the Indian granting agencies.
thanks a lot for the information .

I think the OP is interested in undergraduate admissions, where finding a professor to work with him or her won't matter.

Based on those grades, admission likely won't be an issue, but your best bet is to contact the university for a more specific answer. In Canada there are also requirements about the high school courses that one has to have taken for undergraduate admissions. For example, it's quite common that one has to take 12 grade English (for Canadian students), even if you're applying to a physics program.

In fact, once your high school grades get into the mid 90s, it's possible to get an academic scholarship. So it would also be worth looking into that.

Likes ujjwal3097
For US Students they are strict on the HS curriculum as well - could not get in because our HS was Block scheduled, and they wanted 2 full years of Physics and Chem.. our HS does not have that many !

Choppy said:
I think the OP is interested in undergraduate admissions, where finding a professor to work with him or her won't matter.

Based on those grades, admission likely won't be an issue, but your best bet is to contact the university for a more specific answer. In Canada there are also requirements about the high school courses that one has to have taken for undergraduate admissions. For example, it's quite common that one has to take 12 grade English (for Canadian students), even if you're applying to a physics program.

In fact, once your high school grades get into the mid 90s, it's possible to get an academic scholarship. So it would also be worth looking into that...
In India you don't have any option to chose any other subject other subject and reject other you just have to do it .But in 11th standard we do get a chance to choose between commerce or science field (thank god ).so i can't do anything about it ,what i can do is hope they know everything about indian curriculum

What is the difference between University of Toronto and University of British Columbia?

The main difference between the two universities is their location. University of Toronto is located in Toronto, Ontario, while University of British Columbia is located in Vancouver, British Columbia. Additionally, they have different academic programs and areas of expertise. University of Toronto is known for its strength in research and innovation, while University of British Columbia is known for its strong programs in natural sciences and business.

Which university has a better reputation?

Both universities have excellent reputations and are highly ranked globally. It ultimately depends on the specific program or field of study that you are interested in. It is recommended to research and compare the rankings and strengths of each university in your desired field before making a decision.

How much does it cost to attend University of Toronto and University of British Columbia?

The cost of attending these universities varies depending on factors such as the program, level of study, and residency status. Generally, University of Toronto has higher tuition fees compared to University of British Columbia. However, both universities offer financial aid and scholarships for students in need.

What is the student life like at University of Toronto and University of British Columbia?

Both universities have vibrant and diverse student communities with a wide range of extracurricular activities and clubs to get involved in. University of Toronto has a larger student population and a more urban campus, while University of British Columbia has a smaller student population and a more scenic campus with access to outdoor activities.

Can I transfer between University of Toronto and University of British Columbia?

It is possible to transfer between the two universities, but it is not guaranteed. Transferring depends on factors such as availability of space in your desired program, academic performance, and completion of the necessary requirements. It is recommended to consult with the admissions office of each university for more information on the transfer process.