University, Reapplying and Gap Year Options

In summary: I'm still considering my options for next year, but if I do decide to come back, I'll definitely need to improve my grades and get some good recommendations.In summary, Varnick is a student in the UK who has already applied to various universities, and accepted a firm and insurance offer to study physics at Southampton. He is considering taking a gap year to do a year in industry, and has talked to his head of physics who recommends it. Depending on his A level grades, he may or may not reapply to Oxford and Imperial.
Varnick
I'm a student in the UK, and have already applied, been rejected/accepted by various universities, and accepted a firm and insurance offer. I was accepted at Southampton, after rejections from Oxford and Imperial. I was happy with my decision, but after talking to my head of physics, I'm considering taking a gap year (Possibly to do a year in industry) and reapplying to Oxford, Imperial etc. This is of course dependent on my A level grades, but what would PF members recommend?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends what you plan on doing in your year in industry. Will what you choose to do increase your chances of being accepted at the institutions you got turned away from this year?

The YINI will most likely be spent at a design and engineering firm, such as Qinetic that do gapyear placements for pre-undergrad students. Enhancing my chances should be taken care of with good exams, more extra-curricular reading, and previous experience of the interview process.

Varnick said:
The YINI will most likely be spent at a design and engineering firm, such as Qinetic that do gapyear placements for pre-undergrad students. Enhancing my chances should be taken care of with good exams, more extra-curricular reading, and previous experience of the interview process.

Oh right, that sounds good. As long as it's an organised gap year in industry then I should think it will be very beneficial. Good luck with that, and your exams!

So you would recommend taking a year out and reapplying, assuming exams go well?

I would certainly recommend taking a year off. The time out of school reminds you of what is most important in life. To me, taking a year off really helped me figure out what it is in life that I love: education. I really missed being in school, and that informed me that I really do love school, even if the math gets mind-bogglingly hard sometimes :]

It sounds like you already know what you want to do, so I say go ahead and do it!

Varnick - What grades are you expecting from your A-levels ? I assume that in your case you did not get very good predicted grades or something. If you can get AAA in your A-level then yes, you can take a year off and you might have good chance next round, but be aware that most people applying will have similar qualification, so you'll be playing with luck.
I know some people who went to Oxford and Imperial who absolutely hated it and take their years off as well. I think Southampton is a very good place for physics, the department has 5* rating and is a leading one in UK and much better weather than the other two places, I would personally suggest you to just go to Southampton now, unless you really hate it then you can apply for transfer, plus you can always go for Oxford/Imperial etc for postgrad if you get good first degree

I don't know what a "gap year" is, but from your description I'm guessing it's a year in between university and high school where you work through some sort of internship.

My question back to you would be this: if you take this next year, and still don't get into these other schools, will you be disappointed?

It sounds like the school you've gotten into has a good program (although I would research this a little more). But as long as you're going to get a decent education, I don't see the point in wasting a year to get into another place. The name of a school is not nearly as important as what you can learn from its program.

Choppy said:
I don't know what a "gap year" is, but from your description I'm guessing it's a year in between university and high school where you work through some sort of internship.

A gap year is, in general, just a year in which one takes a 'gap' from their studies. Most people go travelling, or at least abroad somewhere on their gap year, but there are (like this one) opportunities to get some industrial experience on your gap year.

To the OP: assuming that you get onto one of these gap year programs (which are probably pretty competitive), and obtain good exam results (i.e. AAA), I'd say do the year in industry. You're likely to get into Southampton next year, and if you improve your credentials, you will have a better shot at Oxford etc..

Of course, if you don't get onto a gap year program like the one you mention, then I would go to Southampton.

To those who asked, I'm looking at AAAB or AAAA (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry) for my grades this summer, providing I get my revision done. I do like Southampton, but I couldn't help but feel that in some ways it wasn't for me. Those who mentioned postgraduate degrees make an excellent point, I'm currently signed up to the MSc course at Southampton, but I could switch for my fourth year, or continue and seek a different institution for a PhD (If I want to do one). I think I'll investigate the YINI further, but I think Choppy is right, and I would be leaving things largely up to luck.

What is a gap year?

A gap year is a period of time, usually one year, taken by a student after completing high school or before starting college. It is typically used to travel, work, volunteer, or pursue other interests before continuing with higher education.

Why do some students choose to take a gap year?

Some students choose to take a gap year to gain life experiences, explore their interests, and gain a better understanding of themselves before committing to a specific field of study. It can also be a way to take a break from the academic environment and avoid burnout.

What are the benefits of taking a gap year?

Taking a gap year can provide students with valuable life experiences, help them develop new skills, and gain a better understanding of different cultures and perspectives. It can also give them time to recharge and refocus before starting college.

How can I reapply to a university after taking a gap year?

If you have already been accepted to a university and are planning on taking a gap year, you will need to defer your enrollment. This means you will still have a guaranteed spot at the university for the following year. If you did not apply to any universities before taking a gap year, you will need to reapply through the normal application process.

Can I still apply to universities if I have already taken a gap year?

Yes, you can still apply to universities after taking a gap year. However, you will need to follow the regular application process and explain your gap year in your personal statement or essay. Admissions officers will be looking for how you used your time during the gap year and what you learned from the experience.