Mature student vs gap year student

In summary, the person is applying to universities after taking a year gap and is confused about the options of being categorized as a mature student or gap year student, or a high school student. They advise looking for the university's definition of these terms online or contacting them for clarification. Personal opinion is to choose the gap year student option unless the university has a specific time period for defining a mature student, or if the person has relevant work experience that could enhance their application. Ultimately, the advice is to do what benefits the person, rather than following the system's categorization.
ujjwal3097
Hi
I am applying to the universities but I think I am bit confused with something.
Actually I am applying to the universities after taking a year gap. But some universities are asking me to make my decision between these two option:
Mature student or high school student
or
gap year student or high school student
Is the term mature student and gap year student same. Or does mature student refers to somebody who is coming back to college after graduating from high school for more than 2 or more years.

ujjwal

Physics news on Phys.org
If the university uses those terms separately, it probably has a definition for them somewhere. Try looking for it online and if you can't find it, call or email them to figure out which category you fit into.

Unless your university specifies the given time period you were away from previous study before defining you as a mature age, and if you have relevant past educational experience that can support your application which hasn't become void yet, my personal opinion is that you should go with the gap year student choice unless you have certain work related experiences you can prove, which might enhance your chances at the degree you're after.

So
a) select Mature age if uni policy defines you to be;
b) select Not mature age if definition is loose and you have more educational experience than work experience;
c) select Mature age if you have better work experience related credentials than educational experience.

but then even if (a) holds, and you still have more educational credentials than work credentials, I'd be inclined to still select b) if your uni allows that. In such a case, I'd speak with the uni and ask them for such advice.

Do what benefits you, not what the system pushes you around to be :)

Last edited:
Likes ujjwal3097

1. What is the difference between a mature student and a gap year student?

A mature student is typically someone who is over the age of 25 and returning to education after a break, whereas a gap year student is someone who takes a year off after high school before starting college or university.

2. What are the advantages of being a mature student?

Some advantages of being a mature student include having more life experience, being more focused and motivated, and having a clearer idea of what they want to study and their career goals.

3. Do mature students face any challenges in their academic journey?

Yes, mature students may face challenges such as balancing work and family commitments with their studies, adjusting to a new learning environment, and feeling out of place among younger students.

4. What are the benefits of taking a gap year before starting college?

A gap year allows students to gain new experiences, learn new skills, and have a break from academic pressure. It can also help students gain clarity on their future goals and make more informed decisions about their education.

5. Can mature students also take a gap year?

Yes, mature students can also take a gap year before starting their studies. In fact, a gap year may be even more beneficial for mature students as it can give them a break from work and allow them to fully focus on their studies when they do start.