Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Unknown Organic Chemicals Distinction

1. Nov 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use a flow chart to distinguish between: 1-hexene, cyclohexanol, 1-bromobutane, 1-propanol, 2-hexene, 1-hexyne, 2-bromopentane, 3-methyl-3-hexanol, 3-bromo-3-methylhexane by using a positive and negative test by adding other compounds

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used ZnCl2 in HCl to distinguish cyclohexanol and 3-methyl-3-hexanol from the rest and used the same test to distinguish them from each other.
    Then, I used acidic chromate solution to distinguish 1-propanol by the formation of green chromium (III) ion
    I just do not know where to find the information on how to separate these compounds (It is not in my book.) Any and all information would be awesome!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2008 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is the question asking to distinguish between samples of each of these or to find a way to separate a mixture of them?

4. Nov 19, 2008 #3
    It asks to distinguish between different samples of each. They are NOT mixed together.

5. Nov 20, 2008 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Separate them into groups. You have 3 examples of alcohols, one primary, one secondary and one tertiary. You have 2 examples of olefins, one alpha and one internal. You have one example of an alkyne. Its unsaturation might lead you to believe that it is an olefin but it has a property that olefins don't. You have 3 examples of alkyl halides, one primary, one secondary and one tertiary.

Now, find http://www.docbrown.info/page13/ChemicalTests/ChemicalTests.htm" [Broken] and you are ready to begin.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook