Unsolvable Seating Arrangement? Investigating the Betweeness of Points Problem

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter Moon1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Points
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Moon1
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I have worked for an hour on this - with my mom too. 5 geometry students are sitting in a row. Lee is the same distance from Linh that Linh is from Brad. Tiina is seated between Tammy and Linh. Brad is sitting next to Tiina. Tiina is not seated between Brad a Tammy. What order are they sitting in. We get it to work when Tiina is between Brad and Tammy, but the last sentence makes that incorrect. The only other way we came up with was Tammy, Brad, Tiina, Linh, space, Lee. But I don't think a space is allowed. Not sure what to do next. Thank you.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Moon...welcome to MHB. :D

I honestly do not see how such a seating arrangement is possible without introducing an empty seat as well, and I arrive at the same order you did, with an empty seat in the same location.

I would check first to make certain you have the problem written out correctly, with all of the conditions reproduced exactly as given.

But, it is possible that we are missing an arrangement that someone else here may find.