Solve Seating Arrangement of 4 Men and 4 Women No Pair Next

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fermat1
  • Start date
In summary, there are 4! x 4! x 2 ways for 4 men and 4 women to sit in a row if no two men and no two women can sit next to each other. However, if at least 2 men or 2 women must sit next to each other, the number of ways is given by 8! divided by the fraction 4C2.2.6!.7. The reasoning for this is based on the exclusion of the mixed sex pair and the complement of the group sitting man-women-man-women. This leads to a total of 4! x 4! x 6 combinations for all possible groupings, as they are symmetrical and can be reordered.
Fermat1
Suppose we have 4 men and 4 women. In how many ways can they sit in a row if no two men and no two women can sit next to each other?

The easy way to do this is simply to calculate 4! x 4! x 2.
But I was thinking about it the other way round. There are 8! possibilities for ordering 8 people so we nned to take some of those outcomes out.

The number of ways of ordering if at least 2 men (or women) must sit next to each other is I thought:

\(\displaystyle \frac{4C2.2.6!.7}{4.4}\) because we can choose 2 men from 4, if we fix the 2 men the 6 others can permute how ever they wish, the 2 men can switch positions and the two men can move along the row, but we must exclude the possability that the pair is mixed sex.

This is the complement of the group sitting man-women-man-women, so the answer to the original question ought to be 8! divided by this fraction. The answer is quite a way out however. How does my reasoning err?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Fermat said:
Suppose we have 4 men and 4 women. In how many ways can they sit in a row if no two men and no two women can sit next to each other?

The easy way to do this is simply to calculate 4! x 4! x 2.
But I was thinking about it the other way round. There are 8! possibilities for ordering 8 people so we nned to take some of those outcomes out.

The number of ways of ordering if at least 2 men (or women) must sit next to each other is I thought:

\(\displaystyle \frac{4C2.2.6!.7}{4.4}\) because we can choose 2 men from 4, if we fix the 2 men the 6 others can permute how ever they wish, the 2 men can switch positions and the two men can move along the row, but we must exclude the possability that the pair is mixed sex.

This is the complement of the group sitting man-women-man-women, so the answer to the original question ought to be 8! divided by this fraction. The answer is quite a way out however. How does my reasoning err?

The possibilities are separate groups in the following order...

a) 4 men + 4 women

b) 4 women + 4 men

c) 2 men + 4 women + 2 men

d) 2 women + 4 men + 2 women

e) 2 men + 2 women + 2 men + 2 women

d) 2 women + 2 men + 2 women + 2 men

By symmetry and possibility of reordering all these groupings have the same number of combinations so that the total number of solutions are 4! 4! 6...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

1. How many possible seating arrangements are there for 4 men and 4 women with no pairs next to each other?

There are 576 possible seating arrangements for 4 men and 4 women with no pairs next to each other. This can be calculated by using the formula n!/(n-k)! where n is the total number of people (8 in this case) and k is the number of people in each pair (2 in this case).

2. How can I approach solving this seating arrangement problem?

One approach is to start by placing the men in alternate seats, so that there is always a woman between them. Then, arrange the women in the remaining seats in any order. This ensures that there are no pairs of men or women sitting next to each other.

3. Is there a specific pattern or rule to follow while solving this problem?

Yes, there are a few patterns and rules to follow while solving this problem. One is to alternate the genders while seating them. Another is to keep the pairs (men or women) separated by at least one seat. Additionally, the total number of possible arrangements will always be an even number.

4. Can I use a formula or algorithm to solve this seating arrangement problem?

Yes, there are formulas and algorithms that can be used to calculate the number of possible seating arrangements. You can also use a combination or permutation calculator to determine the number of arrangements.

5. How can I ensure that I have found all possible seating arrangements for 4 men and 4 women with no pairs next to each other?

To ensure that you have found all possible seating arrangements, you can use a systematic approach and create a list or chart of all the possible combinations. You can also double check your work by using a combination or permutation calculator to verify the total number of arrangements.