Unusual uncertainty relations question

In summary, the uncertainty relations for position and energy come about from the commutation relations between canonically conjugate operators. There is no uncertainty relation for position and time because time is not an observable. Thanks atyy.
liometopum
What are the uncertainty relations for the following:

1. position and energy?

2. position and time?

Physics news on Phys.org
The uncertainty relations come about from the commutation relations between canonically conjugate operators such as position and momentum.

The operator corresponding to energy is the Hamiltonian, which is specified in terms of canonically conjugate operators. So you would need to specify the Hamiltonian, derive the commutation relation, then derive an uncertainty principle.

There is no uncertainty relation for position and time, because time is not an observable, and there is no operator corresponding to time.

Once you have the commutation relation, the related uncertainty principle is given by Eq 4.46 of http://www.eng.fsu.edu/~dommelen/quantum/style_a/commute.html#SECTION07353000000000000000 .

Last edited:
Thanks atyy. But a time-energy relation exists, although its "realness" is debated: http://www.math.ucr.edu/home/baez/uncertainty.html

So if a time-energy relation can be stated as h-bar/2 (there are several, at least, independent derivations of it), then I am thinking someone has done this with time and.position.

But what about position and energy? I have values and am looking to check them.

In the Heisenberg picture, the Heisenberg equation of motion for the (time-dependent) position operator ##X(t)## is given by ##\frac{dX(t)}{dt} = i[H,X(t)]##; then ##V := \frac{dX(t)}{dt}## is called the velocity operator. The exact form of ##V## will depend on the form of ##H##. For example for a free particle we have ##[H,X] = -i\frac{P}{m}## as you would expect.

liometopum said:

I don't know it off the top of my head. It depends on the system, because the Hamiltonian or energy operator differs from system to system. I indicated how you can derive it in my previous post.

Edit: Check out WannabeNewton's post above.

liometopum said:
The uncertainty principle for two observables A and B is ΔAΔB ≥ |<C>| with C = [A,B]. You cannot expect |<C>| to yield a general value like hbar/2 for arbitrary A and B because it is the expectation value of the operator C and thus depends on the state of the system.

A state-independent value libe hbar/2 can be given only in the case of conjugated variables like position and momentum because there, C is proportional to the identity operator, so its expectation value doesn't depend on the state.

/edit: For uncertainty relations involving time see wikipedia and the corresponding paper by Mandelstam and Tamm.

Last edited:
Let me just share what I calculated, using my own method:

Time-position uncertainty
ΔT×Δx= (Gℏ)/(c⁴) = 8.7114×10⁻⁷⁹ m s

Energy-position uncertainty:
ΔE×Δx=(cℏ)/2= 1.58076×10⁻²⁶ J m

Oh yes, as a method of checking, if we rearrange the two uncertainty equations so that Δx=(cℏ)/(2ΔE) and Δx= (Gℏ)/(c⁴ΔT), set them equal and do the math, we get: ΔE/ΔT=c⁵/2G.
That expression, ΔE/ΔT, is one-half the Planck Power.

liometopum said:
Let me just share what I calculated, using my own method:

Time-position uncertainty
ΔT×Δx= (Gℏ)/(c⁴) = 8.7114×10⁻⁷⁹ m s

Energy-position uncertainty:
ΔE×Δx=(cℏ)/2= 1.58076×10⁻²⁶ J m

What Hamiltonian are you referring to?

I did not use a standard QM approach. I developed my own method.

Closed, pending moderation.

Zz.

1. What are uncertainty relations and why are they important in science?

Uncertainty relations refer to the mathematical relationships between two or more physical quantities that cannot be simultaneously measured with perfect accuracy. They are important in science because they help us understand the limitations of our ability to measure and predict the behavior of physical systems.

2. Can you give an example of an unusual uncertainty relation?

One example of an unusual uncertainty relation is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. This principle is unusual because it applies to pairs of complementary observables, such as position and momentum, rather than just individual quantities.

3. How do uncertainty relations impact our understanding of quantum mechanics?

Uncertainty relations play a fundamental role in quantum mechanics, as they are a consequence of the probabilistic nature of quantum systems. They help us understand the inherent uncertainty in the behavior of particles at the subatomic level, and have led to the development of important theories, such as the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics.

4. Are there any practical applications of uncertainty relations?

Yes, uncertainty relations have many practical applications, particularly in the fields of quantum computing and cryptography. They also play a crucial role in the development of technologies such as MRI machines and atomic clocks. In addition, uncertainty relations have been used to better understand complex systems in fields such as biology and economics.

5. How do scientists continue to study and improve our understanding of uncertainty relations?

Scientists continue to study and improve our understanding of uncertainty relations through theoretical and experimental research. They use mathematical models and advanced technologies to test the limits of uncertainty relations and explore their implications in different fields of science. Ongoing research in this area is crucial to furthering our understanding of the fundamental principles of the universe.