Updating a figure made using Plotly

• Python
  • Thread starter Swamp Thing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the conversation discusses changing data in an existing plot created using Plotly in Python. The suggested method is to modify the data in place, but the output does not reflect the change. This could be due to the limitations of using Google Colab instead of a traditional Jupyter notebook.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
TL;DR Summary
I'm trying to update a plotly graph with new data:
f1.update_traces(y=[4,3,2,1])
Nothing happens.
After making a graph using Plotly in Python, I'd like to change the data. From the documentation (which is not very clear) it appears this is the code we need:

f1.update_traces( y=[4,3,2,1] )
(where f1 is the figure created previously).

But nothing happens when I run this.

In order to see the new data, I find that I need to do f1.show() after the above step. The problem with this is that it shows a new plot rather than changing the old one, so each time I change the data it goes into a new plot.

So I guess my big-picture question is, using Python in Google Colab, how can I change attributes (including data) of an existing plot in situ?

Technology news on Phys.org
You should be able to just modify the data in place:
Python:
f1.data[0].y = [4, 3, 2, 1]

pbuk said:
You should be able to just modify the data in place:
Python:
f1.data[0].y = [4, 3, 2, 1]

I've tried that too.
Python:
f1.data[0].y=[7,6,5,9]
print(f1.data[0])

The output from the print statement shows that the 'y' array has been written into correctly:
Code:
Scatter({
    'uid': '289cc751-4c63-4126-8235-82c69798e9d6', 'x': [2, 3, 4, 5], 'y': [7, 6, 5, 9]
})

... but the plot doesn't reflect the change.

Are you using Python in a notebook? I'm using Google Colab, which perhaps doesn't support live updating of plots...

Swamp Thing said:
I'm using Google Colab, which perhaps doesn't support live updating of plots...
No it doesn't, at least not in the same way as a 'normal' Jupyter notebook does.

• Informative
Likes Swamp Thing

1. How do I update the data in my Plotly figure?

To update the data in your Plotly figure, you can use the update method. This method allows you to specify the new data and layout parameters for your figure. You can also use the restyle method to update specific traces in your figure.

2. Can I update the layout of my figure after it has been created?

Yes, you can update the layout of your figure using the update method. This method allows you to specify new layout parameters, such as title, axes labels, and color scheme. You can also use the layout attribute to directly modify the layout object of your figure.

3. How can I update the styling of my figure?

You can update the styling of your figure by using the update method or by directly modifying the style attribute of your figure. This allows you to change the color, size, and other style parameters of your figure.

4. Is it possible to update the type of plot in my figure?

Yes, you can update the type of plot in your figure by using the update method and specifying a different type parameter. This allows you to change your figure from a scatter plot to a bar graph, for example.

5. How do I update the data labels in my figure?

To update the data labels in your figure, you can use the update method and specify the text parameter for each trace. This allows you to change the labels for each data point in your figure. You can also use the annotations attribute to add custom labels to your figure.