Upper & Lower Bounds Real Zeros-Polynomial Division, Proofs?

In summary, the upper bound proof is that there is a similar proof for ##f(b)<0##. The lower bound is that if ##b>c## then ##f(b)=(b-c)q(b)-r##. This shows that b cannot be a zero of ##f##.
Saturnine Zero

Homework Statement

Upper Bound[/B]
If all of the numbers in the final line of the synthetic division tableau are non-positive, prove for ##f(b)<0##, no real number ##b > c## can be a zero of ##f##

Lower Bound
To prove the lower bound part of the theorem, note that a lower bound for the negative real zeros of ##f(x)## is an upper bound for the positive real zeros of ##f(−x)##. Applying the upper bound portion to ##f(−x)## gives the result.

Do you see where the alternating signs come in?

Homework Equations

##p(x)=d(x)q(x)+r(x)##
##f(x)=(x − c)q(x)+r##

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been struggling for three weeks with this topic trying to properly understand it and to formulate a sensible and reasonably short question. I'm hoping someone can tolerate this long post and let me know if I'm heading in the right direction.

Upper Bound
My book shows a proof for the upper bound for ##f(b)>0## which makes sense to me, but just states there is a simlilar proof for ##f(b)<0##. So I've attempted to follow the proof in the book and adapt it as follows:

Suppose ##c>0## is divided into f and the resulting last line in the division tableau contains all non-positive numbers.

This means ##f(x)=(x-c)q(x)-r##, where the coefficients of the quotient polynomial and the remainder are non-positive.

If ##b>c##, then ##f(b)=(b-c)q(b)-r##, where ##(b-c)## is positive and ##q(b)## is negative and ##r≤0##.

Hence ##f(b)<0## which shows b cannot be a zero of ##f##. Thus no real number ##b>c## that can be a zero of ##f## as required.
Does this show ##c## is an upper bound? That is to have ##f(b)=0##, ##b## would need to be less than it is so that ##b=c## and ##b-c## sum to zero, so ##c## is an upper bound?

Lower Bound
For the lower bound part. I've struggled more. I really didn't see where the alternating signs came in. But I figured this morning I would default to using a numerical example, and I think I'm closer now.

I think the alternating sings of the coefficients come into it because the odd/even powers of the polynomial change the signs in ##f(-x)## and this results in a quotient with coefficients of all the same sign.

So my current understanding is, if the quotient polynomial of ##f(x)## alternates signs, when ##f(-x)## is divided by the negative of the divisor, all the coefficients of quotient polynomial of ##f(-x)## will always have all the same sign, and the upper bound proof can be used.

Choosing a more negative divisor for ##f(x)## would make each coefficient in the quotient either more positive or more negative alternatively, so not approaching a zero. And then dividing by the negative of that divisor for ##f(-x)## would make the coefficients in the quotient either more positive or more negative, so not approaching a zero. Therefore that divisor for ##f(x)## is a lower bound.

I'd like to know if my upper bound proof is correct and if I am on the right track for understanding the lower bound part?

Sorry for the long post, I'm not sure how to cut it down any further.

Physics news on Phys.org
Saturnine Zero said:

Homework Statement

Upper Bound[/B]
If all of the numbers in the final line of the synthetic division tableau are non-positive, prove for ##f(b)<0##, no real number ##b > c## can be a zero of ##f##

Lower Bound
To prove the lower bound part of the theorem, note that a lower bound for the negative real zeros of ##f(x)## is an upper bound for the positive real zeros of ##f(−x)##. Applying the upper bound portion to ##f(−x)## gives the result.

Do you see where the alternating signs come in?

Homework Equations

##p(x)=d(x)q(x)+r(x)##
##f(x)=(x − c)q(x)+r##

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been struggling for three weeks with this topic trying to properly understand it and to formulate a sensible and reasonably short question. I'm hoping someone can tolerate this long post and let me know if I'm heading in the right direction.

Upper Bound
My book shows a proof for the upper bound for ##f(b)>0## which makes sense to me, but just states there is a simlilar proof for ##f(b)<0##. So I've attempted to follow the proof in the book and adapt it as follows:

Suppose ##c>0## is divided into f and the resulting last line in the division tableau contains all non-positive numbers.

This means ##f(x)=(x-c)q(x)-r##, where the coefficients of the quotient polynomial and the remainder are non-positive.

If ##b>c##, then ##f(b)=(b-c)q(b)-r##, where ##(b-c)## is positive and ##q(b)## is negative and ##r≤0##.

Hence ##f(b)<0## which shows b cannot be a zero of ##f##. Thus no real number ##b>c## that can be a zero of ##f## as required.
Does this show ##c## is an upper bound? That is to have ##f(b)=0##, ##b## would need to be less than it is so that ##b=c## and ##b-c## sum to zero, so ##c## is an upper bound?
Please state the entire problem.

What is ƒ ? What are b and c ? What is being divided by what ?

Likes StoneTemplePython
SammyS said:
Please state the entire problem.

What is ƒ ? What are b and c ? What is being divided by what ?
OK, thanks for looking, I will try to be a bit clearer:

• Suppose ##f## is a polynomial of degree ##n ≥ 1##

• If ##c > 0## is synthetically divided into ##f## and all of the numbers in the final line of the division tableau have the same signs, then ##c## is an upper bound for the real zeros of ##f## . That is, there are no real zeros greater than ##c##.

So ##f## is the polynomial and ##c## is a possible real zero and is the divisor in the synthetic division, so ##f(x)## is being divided by ##(x-c)##, and ##b## would any real number greater than ##c##.

I hope that's better.

Saturnine Zero said:
OK, thanks for looking, I will try to be a bit clearer:

• Suppose ##f## is a polynomial of degree ##n ≥ 1##

• If ##c > 0## is synthetically divided into ##f## and all of the numbers in the final line of the division tableau have the same signs, then ##c## is an upper bound for the real zeros of ##f## . That is, there are no real zeros greater than ##c##.

So ##f## is the polynomial and ##c## is a possible real zero and is the divisor in the synthetic division, so ##f(x)## is being divided by ##(x-c)##, and ##b## would any real number greater than ##c##.

I hope that's better.
Are you saying that
$$f(x) = (x-c)(a_{n-1} x^{n-1} + a_{n-2} x^{n-2} + \cdots + a_1 x + a_0) + r,$$
where ##a_0, a_1, \ldots, a_{n-2}, a_{n-1}## and ##r## all have the same sign?

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
Are you saying that
$$f(x) = (x-c)(a_{n-1} x^{n-1} + a_{n-2} x^{n-2} + \cdots + a_1 x + a_0),$$
where ##a_0, a_1, \ldots, a_{n-2}, a_{n-1}## all have the same sign?

Yes, exactly that.

I was just using ##q(x)## as the quotient polynomial ##(a_{n-1} x^{n-1} + a_{n-2} x^{n-2} + \cdots + a_1 x + a_0)##, and ##r## as the remainder as the book does.

I actually found a preview online of the exact two pages from the book which would make it clearer: Theorem 3.11.

What is the definition of upper and lower bounds in relation to real zeros?

Upper and lower bounds refer to the highest and lowest possible values for the real zeros of a polynomial function. These values are based on the leading coefficient and constant term of the polynomial.

How do you calculate the upper and lower bounds of a polynomial function?

To calculate the upper bound, divide the absolute value of the constant term by the absolute value of the leading coefficient. To calculate the lower bound, divide the negative absolute value of the constant term by the absolute value of the leading coefficient.

What is the purpose of using upper and lower bounds in polynomial division?

Upper and lower bounds help to narrow down the possible values for the real zeros of a polynomial function. This can make polynomial division more efficient by reducing the number of possible factors to test.

How do you prove that a polynomial has no real zeros within a given interval?

To prove that a polynomial has no real zeros within a given interval, you can use the intermediate value theorem. This states that if a continuous function changes sign between two points, then it must have a zero between those points. By evaluating the polynomial at the endpoints of the interval and showing that the signs are the same, you can prove that there are no real zeros within that interval.

Can a polynomial have both upper and lower bounds for its real zeros?

Yes, a polynomial can have both upper and lower bounds for its real zeros. This means that the real zeros of the polynomial are restricted to a specific range. However, it is important to note that these bounds are not always exact and there may be real zeros outside of this range.