Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UPS logistics, package traveling the world

1. Oct 8, 2014 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I ordered an iPhone that I'm anxiously waiting for (the first smartphone I've ever bought, always used hand-me-downs). It wasn't supposed to arrive until at least two weeks from now, until I received a message yesterday that it was just shipped :D

Now I'm following the UPS shipment, it started out in Shanghai China, went east to Incheon Korea, went west all the way to Warsaw Poland (oh boy, that's close!), but this afternoon it showed up all the way east in Almaty, Kazakhstan!

Now what's the logic from going from Korea, to Poland, to Kazachstan, when the destination is the Netherlands?? :(

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Somebody put your smartphone package on the wrong plane at Warsaw. Why do you think you were quoted two weeks for delivery? Keep track of its travel history in case it doesn't show up at all.

4. Oct 8, 2014 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah probably... I do hope they were just late with registering the information from Kazakhstan and that's why it showed up after Poland...

This weekend and next week I'm in Copenhagen, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it can be delivered tomorrow. Otherwise my boyfriend can test the phone for a week and I still get to use a "hand-me-down" :D The major reason I'm upgrading is for the camera (I can live with the other malfunctions), it thus would be great to have it before my trip!

5. Oct 8, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's like somebody said in another forum: having UPS land in Glorious Kazakhstan gives Borat a chance to pick through the latest gear!

6. Oct 8, 2014 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have to give Kazakhstan more credit, the package just arrived back in Warsaw Poland :) Surely they've put the package on the wrong airplane then, there's no other explanation for the roundtrip Poland–Kazakhstan–Poland. Back in the right timezone, let's hope it stays that way.

7. Oct 8, 2014 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I guess Borat didn't want your phone after all.

8. Oct 8, 2014 #7
    The algorithms they use attempt to minimize cost, and the path the package is taking, while inefficient in travel time or length may in fact be a minimum in cost. In your case, I suspect it never actually left Warsaw and that their update system is just a little off. Although its possible they made a mistake.

Sometimes a package may be stalled at one location for a bit while they attempt to maximize the number of packages going a certain way or for a number of other reasons.

9. Oct 9, 2014 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I should've had more trust in the logistics of UPS and doubted my own logistics a bit more. The iPhone arrive today at noon, only I found out I'm too old-fashioned: my SIM doesn't fit :rolleyes: two more days of being stalled and then I can join the modern people :nb)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook