Center of mass velocity after inelastic collision of equal masses

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
TaintedLove
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Urgent Help Needed- Finding the speed at the centre of mass? Please help me :(

Hi, I was attempting to work through this question.
Anyways, I was working from a graph, so the radius 2.5 cm, the two of them collided, it was an inelastic collision as the two objects did part ways, so how do I find the centre of gravity?
I attempted to calculate it... but if someone could help me out? The masses were 500g and 500g.

So for x and y, would I do:
Xcg = (500)(0.025) + (500)(1.5)(0.025) / 1000 ?
Ycg = (500)(0.025) + (500)(0.025) / 100 ?

That's what I was thinking but I'm not entirely sure.

After this, I also have to find the momentum of the centre of gravity... so for that, I need the masses and the speed.

Even though the objects didn't stick together, would I add the masses when solving for the momentum at the centre of mass?

I was reading on the internet and it said: "The center of mass velocity of a system of particles is the average velocity of all the particles weighted relative to their mass"

but what I'm confused about is, do I add all the velocities... like the velocities of both the masses before and after the collision? So I'd have 4 velocities? But I'd only add the masses twice right? So it would be the velocities / 1000 g

Could someone really help me. Please.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


I answered your question in the other thread, but let me elaborate.

When you calculate the velocity of the center of mass, you're calculating it for a certain point in time, and the velocities that enter into the formula are those of the objects at that point in time.