1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Urgent Help Needed- Finding the speed at the centre of mass? Please help me

1. Jan 4, 2010 #1
    Urgent Help Needed- Finding the speed at the centre of mass? Please help me :(

Hi, I was attempting to work through this question.
    Anyways, I was working from a graph, so the radius 2.5 cm, the two of them collided, it was an inelastic collision as the two objects did part ways, so how do I find the centre of gravity?
    I attempted to calculate it... but if someone could help me out? The masses were 500g and 500g.

So for x and y, would I do:
    Xcg = (500)(0.025) + (500)(1.5)(0.025) / 1000 ?
    Ycg = (500)(0.025) + (500)(0.025) / 100 ?

That's what I was thinking but I'm not entirely sure.

After this, I also have to find the momentum of the centre of gravity... so for that, I need the masses and the speed.

Even though the objects didn't stick together, would I add the masses when solving for the momentum at the centre of mass?

I was reading on the internet and it said: "The center of mass velocity of a system of particles is the average velocity of all the particles weighted relative to their mass"

but what I'm confused about is, do I add all the velocities... like the velocities of both the masses before and after the collision? So I'd have 4 velocities? But I'd only add the masses twice right? So it would be the velocities / 1000 g

Could someone really help me. Please.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Re: Urgent Help Needed- Finding the speed at the centre of mass? Please help me :(

I answered your question in the other thread, but let me elaborate.

When you calculate the velocity of the center of mass, you're calculating it for a certain point in time, and the velocities that enter into the formula are those of the objects at that point in time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook