US admited Using WP as a Weapon.

• News
  • Thread starter Burnsys
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the use of white phosphorus as a weapon by US troops in Falluja, Iraq. The US initially denied using it for anything other than illumination, but later retracted their statement. There is disagreement about whether or not white phosphorus falls under the category of chemical weapons. Some people feel that the actions of US troops in using white phosphorus may be considered a war crime. There is also discussion about the legality and morality of using certain weapons in warfare. Some feel that threads on this topic are being unfairly closed by a mentor.
Burnsys
Becouse the other forum was closed by evo saying we hadn't any proofs etc etc, i am starting a new one (i hope it won't be closed now.)
US troops used white phosphorus as a weapon in last year's offensive in the Iraqi city of Falluja, the US has said.
The US had earlier said the substance - which can cause burning of the flesh - had been used only for illumination.
BBC defence correspondent Paul Wood says having to retract its denial is a public relations disaster for the US.
"Washington is not a signatory to an international treaty restricting the use of the substance against civilians"
"However it is an incendiary weapon and may be used against enemy combatants."
Professor Paul Rodgers, of the University of Bradford's sayd "It is not counted under the chemical weapons convention in its normal use but, although it is a matter of legal niceties, it probably does fall into the category of chemical weapons if it is used for this kind of purpose directly against people."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4440664.stm
------------------------------------------------
Ok so all this confirms what art, me, skyhunter and others were saying in the previous thread bu was closed by Evo acusing us of crackpottery...

Closed Thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=98952

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is said that they used gun powder too, to propel projectiles. Gun-powder can be hazardous if swallowed. But the worst chemical used on a large scale was di-hydrogen Mono Oxide. Very dangerous

So what is this, generating fallatic myths? Warfare is about persuading the enemy to comply with our politics, using well thought out strategy and tactics. And there is a new brigade on the battle fields, the legal advisors, making very sure that something is a legal target before shooting.

So attempting to discredit the actions by suggesting chemical warfare on citizens is, I think, more a crime in itself.

And napalm too

Here is another link.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,1642575,00.html

And it's not only white phosphorus:

"While napalm is made from petrol and polystyrene, the gel in the mark 77 is made from kerosene and polystyrene".
While kerosene is just another grade of petrol, mark 77 is just another grade of napalm.

And I agree with you that Evo arbitrarily closes threads for the sole reason that she either does not agree or does not understand the topic. Moreover she took one of my posts and quoted half of it, which took it out of context. Then she closed the thread. That is not done and cannot be tolerated from a "mentor". It should be taken serious by the administrators of this board if they don't want to loose credibility. What are the criteria to become a mentor anyway? It seems that the rules are up for a thorough revision. If this thread will get the same treatment, better start looking for another mentor. And/or other members.

Andre said:
It is said that they used gun powder too, to propel projectiles. Gun-powder can be hazardous if swallowed. But the worst chemical used on a large scale was di-hydrogen Mono Oxide. Very dangerous
So what is this, generating fallatic myths? Warfare is about persuading the enemy to comply with our politics, using well thought out strategy and tactics. And there is a new brigade on the battle fields, the legal advisors, making very sure that something is a legal target before shooting.
So attempting to discredit the actions by suggesting chemical warfare on citizens is, I think, more a crime in itself.

I hope you still think the same way if the police has to catch a criminal in the house next to yours and for doing that they burn the criminal house, and 10 houses around it, including yours with your family inside...

Andre said:
Trying to ridiculize the matter does not help. The chemicals, subject of this thread, are not allowed to be used on people, period. IF the US does not care about this, then be clear about it. If the US does not care about torturing people, then be clear about it. Then the rest of the world will know and draw it's conclusions.

It seems in fact, we already got the answer:

The inflammable fuel in Mark-77 fire bombs is thickened with slightly different chemicals, and is believed to contain oxidizers, which make it harder to extinguish than Napalm-B.

Neither weapon technically contains napalm. The chemical mixture that became known as 'napalm' - a combination of naphthalene and palmitate - was used only in the earliest versions of the weapon.

Napalm was banned by United Nations convention in 1980, but the US never signed the agreement. Use of Mark-77 fire bombs is considered legal by the US military.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/08/08/1060145828249.html?oneclick=true
Hey, perhaps Saddam can use as defense that he never signed any agreement on the banning on torturing people or being a brutal dictator?

Mercator said:
And I agree with you that Evo arbitrarily closes threads for the sole reason that she either does not agree or does not understand the topic.
Threads are rarely closed here, one look at this forum proves that. The other thread was locked because it was going nowhere, it was done in a tabloid fashion and assumptions were made that weren't proven. I had suggested a better way to discuss the accusations. I suggest you go back and read.

Moreover she took one of my posts and quoted half of it, which took it out of context. Then she closed the thread.
What post are you referring to? I didn't close the thread after a post of yours.

That is not done and cannot be tolerated from a "mentor".
Closing threads is at the mentor's discretion, I had a lot of support in doing so.

If you don't like the rules here, please feel free to excersize your right to stop posting here.

Thank you Burnsys and Mercator for clarifying. WP is too horrendous for me to even fathom. I mean if the US must kill at least have the decency to use something that inflicts less horror and pain. Have they lost their mind out of frustration with the insurgents or is it the kind of deterrent effect they were after? I do not know any more.

I'm waiting for the US and it's army to resume it's role as a force for democracy and humanity. If the most powerful army in the world must use barbaric weapons, outlawed by the UN , then what to expect from the non-democratic forces? I think this is a topic worth of dicussion, whether some people feel uncomfortable with the topic or not.

I didn't follow the other thread, but there are reputable (that is, they were not from tabloids) sources indicating that phosphorous was used asa weapon in Fallujah last year. I doubt civilians were specifically targeted, and this detail seems to be the defense that the pentagon is using. But, considering that Fallujah was mostly civilians (population 500,000) and that it was attacked because insurgents were creating a stronghold there, it seems very likely that civilians may have been hit by the phosphorous ('collateral damage.')

Also Tuesday, a Pentagon spokesman acknowledged that U.S. troops used white phosphorous as a weapon against insurgent strongholds in the battle of Fallujah a year ago. Lt. Col. Barry Venable denied an Italian TV news report that the spontaneously flammable material was used against civilians.

Venable said white phosphorous shells are a standard weapon and are not banned by any international weapons convention to which the U.S. is a signatory.

Use of white phosphorous is not banned but is covered by Protocol III of the 1980 Convention on Conventional Weapons. The protocol prohibits use of the substance as an incendiary weapon against civilian populations and in air attacks against military forces in civilian areas. The United States is not a signatory to the convention.

http://www.islandpacket.com/24hour/front/story/2906638p-11566424c.html

All headlines:

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=phosphorous+fallujah

I agree that the comparison to gunpowder is not helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mercator said:
outlawed by the UN , then what to expect from the non-democratic forces? I think this is a topic worth of dicussion, whether some people feel uncomfortable with the topic or not.
Yes, yes..I think this is probably the key to the whole subject. Please...quote the applicable U.N. "law" in regards to WP.
Oh, and while you're at it..maybe you should also find a good definition of what a U.N. Protocal is and how and to whom it applies.

kat said:
Yes, yes..I think this is probably the key to the whole subject. Please...quote the applicable U.N. "law" in regards to WP.
Oh, and while you're at it..maybe you should also find a good definition of what a U.N. Protocal is and how and to whom it applies.
You know what's funny? Legality is not morality.

Manchot said:
You know what's funny? Legality is not morality.
Even funnier is that obfuscation is not clarification but better defined as avoidance.

There is a new article on google news that may pertain to this discussion. This does not touch on the "legality" angle but rather the "humanity" angle. Here's one excerpt:

What are its effects?

If particles of ignited white phosphorus land on a person's skin, they can continue to burn right through flesh to the bone. Toxic phosphoric acid can also be released into wounds, risking phosphorus poisoning.

Skin burns must be immersed in water or covered with wet cloths to prevent re-combustion until the particles can be removed.

Exposure to white phosphorus smoke in the air can also cause liver, kidney, heart, lung or bone damage and even death.

A former US soldier who served in Iraq says breathing in smoke close to a shell caused the throat and lungs to blister until the victim suffocated, with the phosphorus continuing to burn them from the inside.

Long-term exposure to lesser concentrations over several months or years may lead to a condition called "phossy jaw", where mouth wounds are caused that fail to heal and the jawbone eventually breaks down.

More Q&A:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4441902.stm

Some of the other questions deal more directly with the legality of the matter.

Last edited:
kat said:
Please...quote the applicable U.N. "law" in regards to WP.
http://www.un.org/millennium/law/xxvi-18-19.htm
No one is arguing the legality. In fact the US did not sign the convention. Since might makes right, it is perfectly legal and as you seem to be implying, also moral during the course of military action to melt the skin off of children!

Mercator said:
Trying to ridiculize the matter does not help. The chemicals, subject of this thread, are not allowed to be used on people, period. IF the US does not care about this, then be clear about it. If the US does not care about torturing people, then be clear about it. Then the rest of the world will know and draw it's conclusions.
Where in the article does it say the WP was used to kill people? The only use against people mentioned was as a psychological weapon. You guys seem to think that the US is intentionally buring people to death with WP. That is not the case.

Guys (pretty much everyone in here), you need to start reading what these articles say, not what you want them to say.

Skyhunter said:
melt the skin off of children!
It's this kind of thing I want to stop here. It is not being used for this intent as is pointed out (I think it's ridiculous that the guy even brought it up) and unless we stop this tabloid mentality we are not going to be able to have rational discussions. All this does is cause people to start throwing rocks and mud and I am really tired of it. The effects of WP are worthy of discussing without sensationalism thrown in. Let's keep the discussion on a higher level.

I'd also like to point out that because so much of politics is opinion, the requirements of this forum are significantly lower than the others when it comes to factual content. But there are limits and saying things that are straightforwardly factually wrong (whether intentional or not) is just not acceptable. This thread is just a repeat of the "shake vs bake" error of the previous one, and that error needs to be stopped.

The fact that WP is a weapon isn't now and never has been at issue here: it is a weapon and no one in this discussion is saying that it isn't. But calling something a "weapon" does not tell you how, exactly, it is used.

russ_watters said:
Where in the article does it say the WP was used to kill people? The only use against people mentioned was as a psychological weapon. You guys seem to think that the US is intentionally buring people to death with WP. That is not the case.
Guys (pretty much everyone in here), you need to start reading what these articles say, not what you want them to say.
First off, it's use is frowned on as any kind of weapon, psychologically or otherwise. Secondly, Col Venable referred to it as a "conventional munition", not a "psychological weapon". Thirdly, it was used to drive people out of 'holes', and so was aimed at people. No-one is saying it was used for the purpose of killing people, but it does kill and it was used on people, and was done so knowing the effects WP has. You were banging on in another thread about Clinton not calling the Rwanda situation genocide so that he did not have to get involved. Seems hypocritical now to argue that since no-one has admitted using it explicitly to kill people then it makes no difference if it does.

Where in the article does it say the WP was used to kill people?

A Pentagon spokesman, Lt Col Barry Venable, confirmed to the BBC the US had used white phosphorus "as an incendiary weapon against enemy combatants" - though not against civilians, he said.

The only use against people mentioned was as a psychological weapon.

Lt Col Barry Venable said earlier denials had been based on "poor information".

So it wasn't used only for iluminating and smoke!

You guys seem to think that the US is intentionally buring people to death with WP. That is not the case.

Intentionally burning enemy combatants to death? 100% sure, burning civilians who are close to the enemy combatants very plausible..

Actualy russ you are the one who must start reading...

skyhunter said:
melt the skin off of children!
evo said:
It's this kind of thing I want to stop here. It is not being used for this intent as is pointed out (I think it's ridiculous that the guy even brought it up) and unless we stop this tabloid mentality we are not going to be able to have rational discussions.
Ok, i would like some of you two to present some proff, valid and factual argument, somenthing, and not only rethoric...

Prove wrong some of this arguments:

1-WP melt the skin off of children
2-Lt Col Barry Venable sayd: US had used white phosphorus "as an incendiary weapon against enemy combatants"
3-There are lot's of pictures of people (including childrens) totaly burned..

It doesn't matter what the intents are, all that matters are the results. so stop with that atitute..

I you don't want to see reality, please close your eyes, but don't force us to close ours..

Last edited:
kat said:
Even funnier is that obfuscation is not clarification but better defined as avoidance.
In what way was what I said obfuscation? You were making the claim that the use of WP is not illegal, and by implication, that there is nothing wrong with it. I was stating that just because something's not illegal, it doesn't make it right.

russ_watters said:
You guys seem to think that the US is intentionally buring people to death with WP.

I don't see anyone saying anything remotely like that in the contributions here. It is abhorrent that our military uses a chemical which may accidentally cause skin, lungs, and other tissue to burn essentially uncontrollably, if it lands "in the wrong place."

You need to start reading what the posters are saying, not what you want them to say.

Skyhunter said:
http://www.un.org/millennium/law/xxvi-18-19.htm
No one is arguing the legality. In fact the US did not sign the convention. Since might makes right, it is perfectly legal and as you seem to be implying, also moral during the course of military action to melt the skin off of children!
Only when used in an Arab country. If this happened in Israel...well, that would be different.

How about the CNN-effect.

In the early days, war was something of soldiers. If you had a trick to defeat the enemy you would do it.

Golf war one changed all that, war had become real time reality TV, not only big brother but people all over the world were watching. The effect was well known by military policy makers and the most hot item became the acceptability of warfare to the modern world. The fear of the intorability of body bags and the excesses of use of force. Number one rule is: no collateral damage, number two rule is absolutely no collateral damage, finally rule 10: try to win the war.

Military policy makers are most terrified for exactly this kind of alleged excesses and in the CNN reality TV world there is no chance whatsoever of a cover up.

Of course there is always a risk of individual warriors flipping, commiting crimes and of course this should be dealt with but it's rather naive to assume that the modern military organisation would even remotely consider to adapt or approve illegal warfare methods. As I said earlier, there is a new brigade out there in the field, the legal advisors, carefully judging whether or not targets and warfare is legal.

But the hearsay and the strong stories in the press hardly constitute any evidence of excesses. Do they?

El Hombre Invisible said:
First off, it's use is frowned on as any kind of weapon, psychologically or otherwise.
Frowned upon by whom?
Secondly, Col Venable referred to it as a "conventional munition", not a "psychological weapon".
Again, so what? That nitpicking over terminology doesn't change how it was actually used. I even suspect some answers given to questions about WP were factually inaccurate because the questions were dishonest and rather than try to argue against the question, they tried to give answers.
Thirdly, it was used to drive people out of 'holes', and so was aimed at people.
Well, kinda, but close enough.
No-one is saying it was used for the purpose of killing people
Au contraire. While some are not explicit, some - most importantly the person who started this thread - are explicit that they believe that the US is intentionally killing peope with WP. So you (and patty, and others) need to be more precise in your statements of your opinions because you have not, until now, made that distinction clear.

Burnsys started this thread, so by arguing for his position without making it clear that you don't share his opinion, it is your fault if your opinion is misunderstood.
...but it does kill and it was used on people, and was done so knowing the effects WP has.
"on people" is somewhat vague, but yes - it was used with very little regard to whether it was killing combatants or just scaring them out of foxholes for bullets and high explosive rounds to kill them.
You were banging on in another thread about Clinton not calling the Rwanda situation genocide so that he did not have to get involved. Seems hypocritical now to argue that since no-one has admitted using it explicitly to kill people then it makes no difference if it does.
It makes a big difference, under the law, what the intent was. The intent and the specifics of the legal definitions are the main reason we are discussing this issue! This issue was first brought up as an accusation of a war crime, and for a controlled-use weapon, intent matters.

Just so everyone else is crystal clear on what side you are arguing, this is what Burnsys is arguing, and if you don't agree, you need to say so before arguing on his behalf:
Burnsys said:
Intentionally burning enemy combatants to death? 100% sure, burning civilians who are close to the enemy combatants very plausible..
To paraphrase, Burnsys believes that the US is intentionally killing enemy combatants with WP and may be intentionally killing civilians with it.

Burnsys said:
A Pentagon spokesman, Lt Col Barry Venable, confirmed to the BBC the US had used white phosphorus "as an incendiary weapon against enemy combatants" - though not against civilians, he said.
Yes, Burnsys, and you are reading something that isn't there. It matters that it was used "as an incendiary [psychological] weapon against enemy combatants" - and it does specify that that was it's use.
Skyhunter said:
No one is arguing the legality.
Yes, people are arguing the legality! Did you even read the OP of this thread? - it's all about the legal ramifications! You, yourself inadvertently did so in your OP of the previous thread! (by stating that it was a chemical weapon) That it was inadvertent doesn't change the fact that you said it and people responded to it, and several people agreed to it. Further, those who argue that WP is being intentionally used to kill enemy combatants are arguing that the US committed an illegal act.

Yes, Skyhunter, I recognize that the primary purpose for many here is to hightlight that war is hell and use that as a basis for random USA bashing (after all - how much worse is being burned to death by WP than, say, burning alive in your shot-up truck?), but there are some specific legal issues to be discussed here. Just to be clear - I am only concerned with the specific legal issues - the random rhetoric of war-is-hell-so-USA-sucks, you guys can have. But when you start in with the rhetoric on an issue that does have some factual points to it, that's when we have the problem. Several of you guys - I'm not even sure you read Burnsys's post before posting your USA-bashes.

This is how conspiracy theories start guys - don't you see how easily this discussion gets to the assertion that the USA is using chemical weapons and is committing a war crime in Iraq? Heck, it was in the title of the OP and the link in the previous thread!

Last edited:
Burnsys said:
Becouse the other forum was closed by evo saying we hadn't any proofs etc etc, i am starting a new one (i hope it won't be closed now.)
US troops used white phosphorus as a weapon in last year's offensive in the Iraqi city of Falluja, the US has said.
The US had earlier said the substance - which can cause burning of the flesh - had been used only for illumination.
BBC defence correspondent Paul Wood says having to retract its denial is a public relations disaster for the US.
"Washington is not a signatory to an international treaty restricting the use of the substance against civilians"
"However it is an incendiary weapon and may be used against enemy combatants."
Professor Paul Rodgers, of the University of Bradford's sayd "It is not counted under the chemical weapons convention in its normal use but, although it is a matter of legal niceties, it probably does fall into the category of chemical weapons if it is used for this kind of purpose directly against people."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4440664.stm
------------------------------------------------
Ok so all this confirms what art, me, skyhunter and others were saying in the previous thread bu was closed by Evo acusing us of crackpottery...
Closed Thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=98952
Russ, without having read the earlier thread, and not really inclined to do so as this is a *new* thread based on reports yesterday, I must say: I don't see anything in the original post (quote above) that says what you say in your latest contribution on this thread:

most importantly the person who started this thread - are explicit that they believe that the US is intentionally killing peope with WP. So you (and patty, and others) need to be more precise in your statements of your opinions because you have not, until now, made that distinction clear.

Also, you say there that my opinion isn't clear. Here is my most recent contribution on this thread:

It is abhorrent that our military uses a chemical which may accidentally cause skin, lungs, and other tissue to burn essentially uncontrollably, if it lands "in the wrong place."

How on Earth can you say I don't make my position clear?

You seem to have a habit of stating as fact things that are incorrect, such as your characterization of my contributions, above. You also assume that you know what people are thinking. It is unreasonable to expect every poster to lay out the detailed miniutiae of their position on each thread. I certainly don't ask that of you - nor am I asking you to acknowledge that your post earlier in the thread ("You guys seem to think that the US is intentionally buring people to death with WP") is a gross distortion of what has been said here.

But it is.

Finally. of course war is hell. We all know that. It is a good idea to illutstrate the horrors of war as they become evident, and the use of WP qualifies.

Would you prefer that we didn't know items like: the death toll in Iraq? that our military was abusing detainees? the suicide rates (etc) among soldiers returning home? Cindy Sheehan's story?

These are all parts of the "hell" that we have created. Imagine for a minute that we didn't know any of it. Are you saying that such a scenario would be better? Who, in your opinion, should be privy to such information? Just the military? the president? The senate and house? Anyone else?

Perhaps we should only be told the "happy" stories from Iraq, like Saddam's capture?

Into which few people's hands, would you like to put the running of this country?

Do you believe in the ideals of democracy? Do you believe that knowledge is a good thing?

Last edited:
kat said:
Read the links. If you want to discuss the UN protocol, please go ahead and start your own thread. Good try though.

It is abhorrent that our military uses a chemical which may accidentally cause skin, lungs, and other tissue to burn essentially uncontrollably, if it lands "in the wrong place."
Most weapons of war will do that. As a matter of fact, I can't think of any weapon, where, if it falls in the wrong spot, magically turns itself off.

FredGarvin said:
Most weapons of war will do that. As a matter of fact, I can't think of any weapon, where, if it falls in the wrong spot, magically turns itself off.
That's a bit of a distortion. But going with that logic, then any weapon not yet conceived is also "OK." Any weapon, that causes any amount of damage, is OK - because we can't think in terms of grey, we're incapable of it. We can't draw lines, we're too dumb. We need things in black and white. Therefore, nuclear bombs that wipe out a city are no worse than switchblades. If we legalize the use of nuclear bombs, we can feel completely comfortable using them - because they're just like every other weapon.

If you feel I am distorting your contribution, then I suggest you look at what you did to mine. I happen to think you are smart enough and capable enough to appreciate the distinctions between an aimed gun and a powder that can become airborne and ignite virtually anything it lands on.

Mercator said:
I'm waiting for the US and it's army to resume it's role as a force for democracy and humanity. If the most powerful army in the world must use barbaric weapons, outlawed by the UN , then what to expect from the non-democratic forces? I think this is a topic worth of dicussion, whether some people feel uncomfortable with the topic or not.
The implication of this thread is exactly what I wrote above. So I am still waiting for somebody with enough courage to adress the question.
A related question is: does the mere fact that something is allowed by a national government makes it legal to use in another country, even against the resolutions of the world (i.o.w. the UN)?
Maybe some here are not impressed by the effects of these chemicals and have a more selective offense against decapitations. But the political consequences of their selective outrage could be enormous. And I come back here to the question that a certain mentor came to manipulate so expertly: who is going to condemn brutal, sadistic, inhuman, terrible, illegal, disgusting dictators (just to make sure that Evo gets it this time) like Saddam for using "tactics" on his enemies if "the good guys" do just the same?
Does anyone have the illusion that the people in Iraq and in Fallujah for the next generations to come will make any distinction between the horrors of being sprayed with Sulphuric acid or being attacked with 77?
You can hide behind the "intent" and "we did not sign the paper" arguments, but is it so difficult to see the consequences of this behaviour? Even if you're a right wing tough cookie with two brains (instead of a heart and a brain) it should be obvious that this "we can do it, who can stop us? " mentality can only lead to more confrontation and much worse: sympathy for the wrong guys.
Nobody I know sympathises with terrorists, islamic extremists, suicide bombers etc..., but you make it very difficult for many people, even the ones, like me with originally a very hard positions against these terrorists and such. Again, I wish some day we can count on the US again.

I think that some people think: "hey war is hell, so if you're the good guy, why should you be forbidden to use this or that weapon".
Well, the world is trying to get rid of dictators and their barbaric methods and (anybody who raised kids wiil know) a first step is to give the good example.

Mercator said:
And I come back here to the question that a certain mentor came to manipulate so expertly: who is going to condemn brutal, sadistic, inhuman, terrible, illegal, disgusting dictators (just to make sure that Evo gets it this time) like Saddam for using "tactics" on his enemies if "the good guys" do just the same?
No, here is your entire post
Mercator said:
I have been out of this discussion because in my view, it's a side issue. The US invasion of Iraq was wrong period. But when TSM sent me this link, I looked at it and recalled my disgust about one of Saddam's experiments: upon his orders they once sprayed a crowd of Kurds with Sulphuric acid from a helicopter. Now I've got experience with H2SO4 in bulk and t's one of the nastiests stuffs I've seen. So I was appalled by this news. And now I see this and I ask myself, what is the difference? I don't want to read academic discussions here about the difference beween allowed and not allowed substances. I just want to ask how ANYBODY can justify the use of anything that does THIS to a human body.And anybody who even tries to do so is no different from Saddam H. , who after all, just tried to protect himself and , like the US POTUS warlord, thought that all means were justified.
To which I asked
Evo said:
Saddam "just tried to protect himself"? Are you serious?
Just to make sure that "you get it" this time. No wonder most of the people here call the P&WA forum the "PF whine cellar".

So to recap on this subject - Certain members here first argued that the US didn't use WP in Fallujah because the pentagon said so.

Next they believed that WP was used as an illuminant only, because the pentagon retracting it's earlier denial said so.

Then they believed it was only used to create a smokscreen because the pentagon retracting it's earlier correction to it's earlier denial said so.

They then quoted the latest piece from the pentagon which retracted it's retraction to it's earlier retraction and said it was used as a psychological tool.

Now the pentagon has corrected their retraction to the retracted statement which retracted their previous statement which retracted their first statement and admitted it was used as an incendiary weapon.

The same certain members now say "so what it's not illegal under USA law" and why do they defend the indefensible from this shaky standpoint? oh yes because the pentagon says so.

Such blind naivete on a science forum is breathtaking.

Evo said:
Threads are rarely closed here, one look at this forum proves that. The other thread was locked because it was going nowhere, it was done in a tabloid fashion and assumptions were made that weren't proven. I had suggested a better way to discuss the accusations. I suggest you go back and read.
What post are you referring to? I didn't close the thread after a post of yours.
No you actually closed it after a post of mine claiming my statement 'that even the battalion doctor joined in the fun dropping HE and WP shells on Fallujah' was ridiculous; I provided the proof which you were good enough to append to the locked thread but you didn't reopen the thread whilst I imagine many people here would have liked to comment on that piece.
Evo said:
Closing threads is at the mentor's discretion, I had a lot of support in doing so.
If you don't like the rules here, please feel free to excersize your right to stop posting here.
The support for closing the thread wouldn't have come from the same people who have now been proven wrong with their assertion that "WP was not used as an incendiary weapon in Fallujah" would it? :biggrin:

Perhaps questioning gov't official lines (or lies) should be something a political forum should encourage rather than censor.

Evo said:
No, here is your entire postTo which I askedJust to make sure that "you get it" this time. No wonder most of the people here call the P&WA forum the "PF whine cellar".
Thanks for bringing it out in the open. Just quoting that "Saddam only tried to protect himself" without the "and thought all means were justified" is just manipulation. YES OF COURSE SADDAM WAS TRYING TO PROTECT HIMSELF, AND HIS POSITION, WHAT ELSE CAN YOU EXPECT FROM A DICTATOR? The point was, and is (sorry for the better understanders here that I have to repeat this over and over) that we expect from the POTUS that he agrees that NOT all means are justified. Can I ask you now, as a "mentor" to stop the personal issues and either adress the topic that the majority here wants to discuss OR keep your head in the sand (I will not use the ostrich metaphor here, because that also seems to be unacceptable for some of the selectively sensitive on this board) and leave the discussion to others?