US bans sperm imports from Nordic countries over mad cow disease concerns
- Thread starter Math Is Hard
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
47 replies · 9K views
Biology news on Phys.org
Oberst Villa
- 111
- 2
The ladies can have my sperm, in Germany mad cow disease never was such a big problem as it was in England. They only would have t
MOOOOOOOH !
MOOOOOOOH !
Oberst Villa
- 111
- 2
Kurdt said:As far as I remember mad cow disease wasn't much of a problem in the UK. Only a handful of cases per year.
ooopsie... mixed this up with foot-and-mouth ! Hm... mixing things up...memory getting weak... are these the symptoms ?
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,906
- 15
Yes, but i can't give blood in the US/Canada - because I lived in the UK.Kurdt said:As far as I remember mad cow disease wasn't much of a problem in the UK. Only a handful of cases per year.
And ironically I couldn't give blood in the UK because I had visited the USA where everybody has west nile virus!
How a prion is going to get into washed IVF sperm anyway is a mystery.
rewebster
- 883
- 2
PF may be missing out on a cash flow-----it can be in the business of supplying the 'Brain Sperm' shortage
And if the PF sisters started donating, who knows?
And if the PF sisters started donating, who knows?
Last edited:
rewebster
- 883
- 2
Kurdt said:You'd want a Finn if you were going Scandinavian. They can drive better.![]()
so, when they're done 'supplying'---are they 'Finnished'?
Evo said:Arildno could make a fortune. He's brilliant, he's Norweedish.
and, for some reason, when I think of a donor with that ancestory, I think of the word 'squeegeed'
Last edited:
misgfool
In Finland fairly recent legislation forbids anonymous finnish donors. This has caused a very significant drop in the amount of donors and a real Nordic sperm shortage. These days sperm is imported from Denmark and women go there to get treatments.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,663
- 37
mgb_phys said:Hang around York and wait to get ravished by some invading vikings?
I've been trying for two months to come up with a Norwegian Wood joke. I got nothing.
tribdog
- 779
- 17
I've been trying for two months to come up with Norwegian Wood. I got nothing.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,663
- 37
tribdog said:I've been trying for two months to come up with Norwegian Wood. I got nothing.
um.. you're talking about shopping at Ikea, right?
tribdog
- 779
- 17
no I'm talking about my flaccid penis.
Now wait a minute, is this something that's going to get me another demerit? I'm balancing on the edge as far as those things go.
Now wait a minute, is this something that's going to get me another demerit? I'm balancing on the edge as far as those things go.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,663
- 37
mgb_phys said:I think that's the name of a chair in IKEA!
I can almost picture it.

misgfool
mgb_phys said:Do they pay for sperm donation?
No. The same law says that it is forbidden to pay to finns for sperm but obviously sperm banks pay for imported stuff. However, it is still cheaper for the donor than finding a recipient in a bar and doing it the old fashion way.
mgb_phys said:I can see a possible way for Iceland to bail (or another four letter word) itself out of bancruptcy.
Last I heard one sperm can costs around 500€ for the end user. There clearly is a market.
Similar threads
- amp
- · Replies 2 ·
- Biology and Medical
- Replies
- 2
- timejim
- · Replies 2 ·
- Biology and Medical
- Replies
- 2
- mee
- · Replies 4 ·
- Biology and Medical
- Replies
- 4