US Fugitives Find Haven in Canada

• News
  • Thread starter loseyourname
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Canada
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of extradition in Canada, with one person claiming that it is a drawn-out process and allows fugitives to continue committing crimes, while the other argues that it is necessary to ensure the accused receives a fair trial and is not unjustly handed over to another country. They also mention potential factors such as bureaucracy, passive protest, and unequal laws among countries.
loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
VANCOUVER, B.C. -- Fred Gilliland laughed at the short arm of the U.S. law. He would never be brought to justice, he boasted this year to a frequent visitor to his waterfront condo. He had Canada to thank for that.

link

Apparently, the appeals process is so drawn-out in the back-logged Canadian courts, that anyone with half a will can escape extradition for years, giving them time to continue to commit crimes while in Canada and then just leave when it's finally time for them to face the heat.

The reason given by the Canadian government is that they want to get it absolutely right. That just doesn't make any sense to me. These fugitives are people that the US is asking back for indictment; they aren't being sent straight to sentencing. Isn't it the job of the trial itself to get it right? If the person is being charged and he isn't guilty, in theory he'll be found not guilty. What's the big deal about sending a person who isn't guilty to trial? How on Earth can someone appeal an indictment?

Physics news on Phys.org
So far as I can tell these things generally turn out this way because of excessive bureaucracy, they don't care, and/or it's being done as a passive protest against the country requesting extradition.

TheStatutoryApe said:
So far as I can tell these things generally turn out this way because of excessive bureaucracy, they don't care, and/or it's being done as a passive protest against the country requesting extradition.
My reading is that it is only done by those with enough money to hire lawyers to fight extradition. At least that is what the article states. There was no mention passive protest or massive bureaucracy.

Do you have another source?

It appears to me that the Canadian government does not just hand people when another country requests it. Not all countries have the same laws, so in order to protect the accused under Canadian law they have an extraordinary rendition process. They apply it equally it seems, by not showing favoritism to any country or group of countries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Skyhunter said:
My reading is that it is only done by those with enough money to hire lawyers to fight extradition. At least that is what the article states. There was no mention passive protest or massive bureaucracy.
Do you have another source?
It appears to me that the Canadian government does not just hand people when another country requests it. Not all countries have the same laws, so in order to protect the accused under Canadian law they have an extraordinary rendition process. They apply it equally it seems, by not showing favoritism to any country or group of countries.
Honestly I didn't read the article but I know that CA has had trouble with Mexico not wanting to extradite prisoners who may get the death penalty and certain countries have harboured "criminals" refusing extradition to the US because they did not agree with the charges.

They're not just going to give the US everyone they ask for.

What is the main issue addressed in the article?

The main issue addressed in the article is the presence of fugitives from the United States in Canada and the challenges faced in apprehending and extraditing them back to the US.

Why do US fugitives seek refuge in Canada?

US fugitives may seek refuge in Canada due to its close proximity to the US, its relatively lenient immigration policies, and its history of being a safe haven for political refugees.

What are the extradition laws between the US and Canada?

The extradition laws between the US and Canada are governed by the Extradition Treaty between the two countries, which requires the requesting country to provide evidence of probable cause and prohibits extradition for political offenses.

What are the challenges faced in extraditing US fugitives from Canada?

Some of the challenges faced in extraditing US fugitives from Canada include delays in the extradition process due to legal challenges and the need for cooperation between the two countries' law enforcement agencies.

What measures are being taken to address the issue of US fugitives in Canada?

To address the issue of US fugitives in Canada, both countries have increased collaboration and information sharing between their law enforcement agencies, and efforts are being made to streamline the extradition process and address any loopholes in the system.