Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

US, Japan eye China after ships barred

1. Nov 30, 2007 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Seems China is sending signals, but what is the message?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071130/ap_on_re_as/china_us_navy

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2007 #2

russ_watters

Daddy, watch me! Watch me! Watch me! Daddy!! Watch me!

They are saying that they aren't mature enough yet to be a legitimate part of the international community.

4. Nov 30, 2007 #3

Evo

The problem is the child in this case has access to a an arsenal of deadly weapons.

5. Nov 30, 2007 #4
    to me this shows that china's interests are drifting from warm and welcoming to american military superiority in the region to a more luke warm, impartial stance to american military convenience.

it seems to me that china is on a path to military independence from america's global dominance of military authority. if china's military continues to grow and become more sophisticated, china and Russia could become leaders in regional politics, leaving the usa on the sidelines as conflicts are resolved without american interests being involved.

6. Nov 30, 2007 #5

Astronuc

It would appear that China is on its way to parity with the US, something the Bush administration would like to prevent, but that is unlikely. Certainly, AFAWK, China lacks large nuclear powered carriers and submarines, but in other areas, they are probably not far behind.

Could they surround Taiwan? Then what?

Meanwhile, back in Washington :rolleyes:

7. Nov 30, 2007 #6

Evo

devil-fire, I guess you didn't read the article. They've made serious breaches in maritime protocol by denying safe harbor. Lack of judgement or act of aggression? Not something a "friendly" country would do.

8. Nov 30, 2007 #7
    there could have been a legitimate or even illegitimate reason china refused harbor, or there could have been no reason at all. its looking like china isn't about to give an explanation one way or another.

its definitely an unfriendly act. i don't see how it would be an act of aggression though

9. Nov 30, 2007 #8
    This is nothing new, as nations become more prosperous they upgrade their military. The UK has weapons on par with the U.S., Nuclear weapons, and nuclear subs, but no one is worried about that. During the Cold War the Soviet Union and U.S. had nuclear missiles pointed at each other, but WWIII did not break out, modern China is nowhere near the threat as the Soviet Union was. The likelihood of a serious conflict with China is close to none, especially considering the economic incentives that China gains by being friendly to the U.S. This is just mass paranoia, by a liberal media attempting to stir the pot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?