US, Japan eye China after ships barred

In summary, China's recent military activities, including missile technology improvements, army modernization, and expanding navy, have raised concerns for both Tokyo and Washington. Tensions escalated when China shot down a weather satellite with a ground-based missile, followed by incidents such as denying safe harbor to U.S. Navy ships. This signals China's desire for military independence and potential shift in regional politics. However, it is unlikely to lead to a serious conflict with the U.S. due to economic incentives and lack of capability to match U.S. military power.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Seems China is sending signals, but what is the message?

But both Tokyo and Washington are deeply concerned about recent Chinese military activities, particularly its rapid improvements in missile technology, the modernization of its huge standing army and the expanding reach of its navy.

Early this year, tensions came to a head when China used a ground-based missile to shoot down an old weather satellite at an orbital height similar to that used by the U.S. military. It was the first-ever such test by any nation.

Tokyo and Washington are also troubled by double-digit growth in China's annual military spending, coupled with Beijing's reluctance to divulge military-related information, all of which made the Kitty Hawk incident last week even more disconcerting.

Relations between the U.S. and China have also been strained in recent months by disputes over trade and Iran's nuclear program.

Several days before the aircraft carrier and its strike group were turned back, Beijing refused to let two U.S. Navy minesweepers enter Hong Kong harbor to escape an approaching storm and refuel. The minesweepers, the Patriot and the Guardian, were instead refueled at sea and returned safely to their home port in Japan.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071130/ap_on_re_as/china_us_navy

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Seems China is sending signals, but what is the message?
Daddy, watch me! Watch me! Watch me! Daddy! Watch me!

They are saying that they aren't mature enough yet to be a legitimate part of the international community.

russ_watters said:
Daddy, watch me! Watch me! Watch me! Daddy! Watch me!

They are saying that they aren't mature enough yet to be a legitimate part of the international community.
The problem is the child in this case has access to a an arsenal of deadly weapons.

to me this shows that china's interests are drifting from warm and welcoming to american military superiority in the region to a more luke warm, impartial stance to american military convenience.

it seems to me that china is on a path to military independence from america's global dominance of military authority. if china's military continues to grow and become more sophisticated, china and Russia could become leaders in regional politics, leaving the usa on the sidelines as conflicts are resolved without american interests being involved.

It would appear that China is on its way to parity with the US, something the Bush administration would like to prevent, but that is unlikely. Certainly, AFAWK, China lacks large nuclear powered carriers and submarines, but in other areas, they are probably not far behind.

Could they surround Taiwan? Then what?

Meanwhile, back in Washington :rolleyes:

devil-fire, I guess you didn't read the article. They've made serious breaches in maritime protocol by denying safe harbor. Lack of judgement or act of aggression? Not something a "friendly" country would do.

Evo said:
devil-fire, I guess you didn't read the article. They've made serious breaches in maritime protocol by denying safe harbor. Lack of judgement or act of aggression? Not something a "friendly" country would do.

there could have been a legitimate or even illegitimate reason china refused harbor, or there could have been no reason at all. its looking like china isn't about to give an explanation one way or another.

its definitely an unfriendly act. i don't see how it would be an act of aggression though

This is nothing new, as nations become more prosperous they upgrade their military. The UK has weapons on par with the U.S., Nuclear weapons, and nuclear subs, but no one is worried about that. During the Cold War the Soviet Union and U.S. had nuclear missiles pointed at each other, but WWIII did not break out, modern China is nowhere near the threat as the Soviet Union was. The likelihood of a serious conflict with China is close to none, especially considering the economic incentives that China gains by being friendly to the U.S. This is just mass paranoia, by a liberal media attempting to stir the pot.

1. What happened with US and Japan after China barred US ships?

After China barred US ships from entering Hong Kong, the US and Japan have been closely monitoring the situation and considering potential actions.

2. Why is China barring US ships from Hong Kong?

China has not officially stated a reason for barring US ships from Hong Kong, but it is believed to be in response to the US support of pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong.

3. How is Japan involved in this situation?

Japan is closely watching the situation as they have a strong economic and strategic interest in the region. They are also considering potential actions to take in response to China's actions.

4. What is the potential impact of this situation on US-China relations?

This situation could further strain already tense relations between the US and China. It may also have economic implications as Hong Kong is a major trade hub.

5. What are some potential actions that the US and Japan could take in response to China's actions?

The US and Japan could impose economic sanctions on China, increase military presence in the region, or take diplomatic measures to address the situation. However, any actions taken would need to be carefully considered to avoid further escalation of tensions.