1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Useful Computer Programming for Astrophysics concentration in Grad School

1. Nov 12, 2014 #1
    My objective is to learn programs and techniques that will prove beneficial to my physics degree. I am going on to grad school to get a physics PhD but I will be staying 1 more year as an undergrad. A CS minor is probably too broad for me because I only want to learn specific programs that will help me in graduate school. Could you recommend the most useful CS classes that will teach me essential programming skills?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2014 #2

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It will depend on what your university offers! If your university offers courses in scientific programming, do those. Programming is a general skill set, it's much easier to pick up other languages when you have the basics down.

But in astro, Fortran (yes, it's still a thing), Python and IDL tend to dominate. You'll also probably see C/C++, perl, and other common languages.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook