1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using canonical transform to show area preserving

1. Sep 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given a certain poincare map, show that it is area preserving for all values of r

2. Relevant equations
    [tex] \binom{x_{n+1}}{y_{n+1}}=\begin{pmatrix}e^{r} & 0 \\ 0 & e^{-r} \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}cos(\phi+I_{n}) & -sin(\phi+I_{n}) \\ sin(\phi+I_{n}) & cos(\phi+I_{n}) \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x_{n}\\ y_{n} \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

where
    [tex]I_{n}=x_{n}^2+y_{n}^2[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to prove that the determinant [tex] \binom{x_{n+1}}{y_{n+1}}=\begin{pmatrix}e^{r} & 0 \\ 0 & e^{-r} \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}cos(\phi+I_{n}) & -sin(\phi+I_{n}) \\ sin(\phi+I_{n}) & cos(\phi+I_{n}) \end{pmatrix}[/tex] is equal to 1, I believe that is wrong since the I in the matrix is X^2+Y^2, so I was wondering should i use the Poisson bracket method?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The presence of ##I_n## makes the map nonlinear, so you can't just look at the determinant of the map to see if it is area preserving.

Think of the map as being in the form $$x_{n+1} = f(x_n,y_n)$$ $$y_{n+1} = g(x_n,y_n)$$
    Then consider the Jacobian of this transformation.
    See for example http://www.math.harvard.edu/archive/118r_spring_05/handouts/henon.pdf

4. Sep 15, 2013 #3
    Ahhh okay, so then i just do the partial of each entry in the matrix to check if the det=1?

5. Sep 15, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. It's a little tedious.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted