Using canonical transform to show area preserving

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that a given Poincare map is area preserving for all values of r. The suggested method involves looking at the Jacobian of the transformation and checking if it equals 1. While the presence of I_n makes the map nonlinear, it is still possible to use this method to check for area preservation.
bagram

Homework Statement

Given a certain poincare map, show that it is area preserving for all values of r

Homework Equations

[tex] \binom{x_{n+1}}{y_{n+1}}=\begin{pmatrix}e^{r} & 0 \\ 0 & e^{-r} \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}cos(\phi+I_{n}) & -sin(\phi+I_{n}) \\ sin(\phi+I_{n}) & cos(\phi+I_{n}) \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x_{n}\\ y_{n} \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

where
[tex]I_{n}=x_{n}^2+y_{n}^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to prove that the determinant [tex] \binom{x_{n+1}}{y_{n+1}}=\begin{pmatrix}e^{r} & 0 \\ 0 & e^{-r} \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}cos(\phi+I_{n}) & -sin(\phi+I_{n}) \\ sin(\phi+I_{n}) & cos(\phi+I_{n}) \end{pmatrix}[/tex] is equal to 1, I believe that is wrong since the I in the matrix is X^2+Y^2, so I was wondering should i use the Poisson bracket method?

Physics news on Phys.org
The presence of ##I_n## makes the map nonlinear, so you can't just look at the determinant of the map to see if it is area preserving.

Think of the map as being in the form $$x_{n+1} = f(x_n,y_n)$$ $$y_{n+1} = g(x_n,y_n)$$
Then consider the Jacobian of this transformation.
See for example http://www.math.harvard.edu/archive/118r_spring_05/handouts/henon.pdf

Ahhh okay, so then i just do the partial of each entry in the matrix to check if the det=1?

Yes. It's a little tedious.

Yes, using the Poisson bracket method would be a good approach to show that the given poincare map is area preserving. The Poisson bracket is a mathematical tool used to study the dynamics of systems and is particularly useful in Hamiltonian mechanics, which deals with systems that conserve energy. In this case, the poincare map can be seen as a Hamiltonian system, where the phase space coordinates x and y are analogous to position and momentum, and the parameter r is analogous to energy.

To show that the poincare map is area preserving, you can use the fact that the Poisson bracket of two functions is equal to the negative of their respective partial derivatives with respect to the phase space variables. In this case, the functions are the coordinates x and y, and the Poisson bracket is given by:

{f,g} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial g}{\partial y}-\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}

If you compute the Poisson bracket of x and y, you will find that it is equal to 1, which means that the area of the phase space is preserved under the poincare map. This is because the Poisson bracket of two functions is a measure of how much one function changes when the other is varied, and in this case, the coordinates x and y do not change under the poincare map, so the Poisson bracket is equal to 1. This proves that the poincare map is area preserving for all values of r.

In summary, using the Poisson bracket method, we can show that the poincare map is area preserving by computing the Poisson bracket of the phase space coordinates x and y and showing that it is equal to 1. This is a more rigorous and general approach compared to trying to show that the determinant of the transformation matrix is equal to 1, which only holds for a specific value of r.

What is a canonical transformation?

A canonical transformation is a mathematical technique used in mechanics and physics to transform a set of canonical variables (such as position and momentum) into a new set of canonical variables while preserving the underlying symmetries and conservation laws of the system.

How does a canonical transformation preserve area?

A canonical transformation preserves area because it maintains the fundamental structure of the Hamiltonian equations of motion, which are based on the conservation of energy and momentum. This ensures that the volume of the system's phase space remains unchanged, and therefore the area under the curve representing the system's motion is also conserved.

Why is it important to use a canonical transformation to show area preserving?

Using a canonical transformation to show area preserving is important because it provides a powerful tool for analyzing the behavior of physical systems. It allows us to simplify complex problems and reveal underlying symmetries and conservation laws that govern the system's motion. In addition, it ensures that our calculations are accurate and consistent with the fundamental principles of mechanics and physics.

What are some examples of systems that exhibit area preserving behavior?

Some examples of systems that exhibit area preserving behavior include planetary orbits, simple harmonic oscillators, and ideal gases. These systems have conserved quantities such as energy and momentum, and their behavior can be accurately described using canonical transformations and Hamiltonian mechanics.

Are there any limitations to using canonical transformations to show area preserving?

While canonical transformations are a powerful tool, they do have some limitations. In some cases, it may not be possible to find a canonical transformation that preserves area, or the transformation may introduce non-physical solutions. Additionally, the calculations involved in finding a canonical transformation can be quite complex and may require advanced mathematical techniques.