1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using conservation of energy to find spring constant but off number

1. Oct 29, 2011 #1
    Okay so I think the answer should be 180N/m unless the book is wrong and I got 114N/m. Now if there is a mistake in my work shown in the picture it would have to be the height final or height initial. I am going with height inital is the x initial and the height final equals the x final.(I think this is correct)

question; a .60kg metal sphere oscillates at the end of a vertical spring. as teh spring stretches from .12 to .23m(relative to its unstrained length) the speed of the sphere decreases from 5.7 to 4.80m/s. what is the spring constant of the spring?
    http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/8118/001ql.jpg [Broken]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    sorry for the work on the back that you can see. any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As the spring stretches, the mass is at a lesser height, therefore has less gravitational potential energy, but more potential energy due to the spring.

You could consider the height to be -x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook