Spring Problem Involving Variables and Constants Only

Argonaut
Homework Statement
An experimental apparatus with mass ##m## is placed on a vertical spring of negligible mass and pushed down until the spring is compressed a distance ##x##. The apparatus is then released and reaches its maximum height at a distance ##h## above the point where it is released. The apparatus is not attached to the spring, and at its maximum height it is no longer in contact with the spring. The maximum magnitude of acceleration the apparatus can have without being damaged is ##a##, where ##a > g##. (a) What should the force constant of the spring be? (b) What distance ##x## must the spring be compressed initially?
Relevant Equations
$$F=ma$$
$$U_{\text{grav}}=mgh$$
$$U_{\text{el}}=\frac{1}{2}kx^2$$
Here is my attempt at the solution:

a) The apparatus may only experience acceleration ##a > g## while in contact with the spring. Since the spring exerts the greatest force when it is the most compressed, the apparatus will undergo the greatest acceleration at that point. So Newton's second law gives
$$\sum F = ma$$
$$kx-mg = ma$$
Therefore, the force constant of the spring should be $$k = \frac{m(a+g)}{x}$$.

b) There are only conservative forces in the system, so energy is conserved. Let point 1 (with ##y=0##) be the point where the apparatus is released and let point 2 be the point where it reaches height ##h##. Then
$$U_1=U_2$$
$$\frac{1}{2}kx^2 = mgh$$
Expressing ##x##
$$x=\sqrt{\frac{2mgh}{k}}$$

However, the official solution at the back of the book is
a)
$$k = \frac{m(g+a)^2}{2gh} $$
b)
$$x = \frac{2gh}{g+a} $$

I could 'reverse-engineer' both solutions. However, I don't understand how I should have known to express ##k## in terms of ##m##, ##a##, ##g## and ##h##, and not ##x##. Is it because of part b? Because essentially, both ##k## and ##x## are target variables and only the rest are known?

Physics news on Phys.org
Argonaut said:
$$k = \frac{m(a+g)}{x}$$ $$x=\sqrt{\frac{2mgh}{k}}$$
These look good. Can you combine them so that ##k## is expressed in terms of ##m,g, a## and ##h## instead of ##m, g, a## and ##x##?

Likes Argonaut
Argonaut said:
how I should have known to express k in terms of m, a, g and h, and not x.
The question ought to have stated, in part a, that the answer should be in terms of m, g, a and h.
I suppose you might have noticed that your answers expressed x in terms of k, then k in terms of x, in such a way that each could be expressed without the other; and since x usually refers to an unknown to be found, and you know k is to be found…

Likes Argonaut
TSny said:
These look good. Can you combine them so that ##k## is expressed in terms of ##m,g, a## and ##h## instead of ##m, g, a## and ##x##?
Yes and they give the book solution.
haruspex said:
The question ought to have stated, in part a, that the answer should be in terms of m, g, a and h.
I suppose you might have noticed that your answers expressed x in terms of k, then k in terms of x, in such a way that each could be expressed without the other; and since x usually refers to an unknown to be found, and you know k is to be found…
Got it.

Thanks, both. It makes more sense now that I typed it up and pondered some more.

Likes TSny

What is a "Spring Problem Involving Variables and Constants Only"?

A "Spring Problem Involving Variables and Constants Only" is a type of physics problem that involves a spring and its properties, such as its stiffness and length, along with other variables and constants, to determine the behavior of the spring in a given situation.

What are the variables and constants typically involved in a "Spring Problem Involving Variables and Constants Only"?

The variables involved in a "Spring Problem Involving Variables and Constants Only" typically include the displacement of the spring, the force applied to the spring, and the time elapsed. The constants involved may include the spring's stiffness, length, and mass of the object attached to the spring.

What is Hooke's Law and how does it relate to "Spring Problem Involving Variables and Constants Only"?

Hooke's Law states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the spring's displacement. This means that as the displacement increases, so does the force applied to the spring. In "Spring Problem Involving Variables and Constants Only", Hooke's Law is used to calculate the force and displacement of the spring.

How can "Spring Problem Involving Variables and Constants Only" be solved?

"Spring Problem Involving Variables and Constants Only" can be solved using mathematical equations and principles, such as Hooke's Law and Newton's Second Law of Motion. These equations can be used to calculate the unknown variables and constants in the problem.

What are some real-life applications of "Spring Problem Involving Variables and Constants Only"?

"Spring Problem Involving Variables and Constants Only" has many real-life applications, such as in engineering and design, where springs are used in various machines and structures. It is also used in fields such as sports and medicine, where the behavior of springs is important in understanding and improving performance and treating injuries.