Using divide as a 'sign' for a number

• Thread starter Twinbee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sign
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using the divide symbol as a negative operator in a similar way to the minus sign, in order to simplify notation and achieve commutativity in mathematical operations. However, some argue that there are already established ways to represent reciprocals and the negative of a number, and that implementing this idea may not be necessary or beneficial in the field of mathematics.
Twinbee
A negative number has the minus sign as its own intrinsic operator. Has anyone thought of using the divide symbol in a similar way, and has there been any attempt to standardize this throughout math?

For example (assuming / is the divide symbol):
/5 = reciprocal of 5 = 1/5 = 0.2.

It saves having to always use the "1 divided by" bit in 1/x.

One can then even use two divides to cancel each other out. Example: //5 = 5 (just like --5 = 5)

Good idea?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
People use an exponential notation instead:

1/5 = 5-1

(5-1)-1 = 5

Edit: By the way, you typically have to write -(-5). If you write --5, most people won't know what you're talking about.

cepheid said:
People use an exponential notation instead:

1/5 = 5-1

(5-1)-1 = 5

Edit: By the way, you typically have to write -(-5). If you write --5, most people won't know what you're talking about.
Unless you're writing bad C code that is attempting to predecrement a constant:biggrin:

Mark44 said:
Unless you're writing bad C code that is attempting to predecrement a constant:biggrin:

LOL, that thought totally occurred to me as well. :wink:

Yes.

I still think my idea is more consistent with the idea of a negative sign (I code in C quite a bit too, so maybe my inspiration stems from there, since encoding the division sign in a number would be quite elegant in some cases).

It also means you can have stuff like:

/5 *10 = 2
10 /5 = 2 (or maybe 10*/5 = 2, and no that isn't a C comment closing tag).

So I've swapped the 'numbers' around, and achieved the same result, meaning we have commutativity just like with multiplication. We can even treat *10 = 10 (just like +10 = 10). Has nobody really thought of this crap before?

Last edited:
I'm pretty content with the way it is at the moment. We already have various ways to represent reciprocals, that being [tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex] and [tex]x^{-1}[/tex]. As for the minus operator, we don't really have many other ways to express it, so we need at least 1 way to show the negative of a number. We don't need more ways to express what we already have for reciprocals though.

As for ease of typing, [tex]x^{-1}[/tex] is pretty easy isn't it?

I wouldn't be surprised if it were implemented in some coding language, but in terms of making it standardized in mathematics, nah don't need it eh

I think it's standard for the arithmetic of a wheel. But there, it's an operation in its own right (a total one, in fact) rather than being an inverse to multiplication or similar kind of thing.

What does it mean to use divide as a 'sign' for a number?

The divide sign, also known as the division sign, is a mathematical symbol used to indicate division between two numbers. It represents the operation of dividing the number before the sign by the number after the sign.

How do you use the divide sign in mathematical equations?

The divide sign is typically used in between two numbers to indicate division. For example, 10 ÷ 2 = 5. It can also be used in fraction form as a horizontal line between the numerator and denominator, such as 1/2.

What is the difference between the divide sign and the slash (/) symbol?

The divide sign and the slash symbol both represent division, but they have different uses. The divide sign is typically used in mathematical equations, while the slash symbol is used in fractions and ratios. The slash symbol can also be used as a symbol for "per" in units of measurement, such as miles/hour or dollars/hour.

Can the divide sign be used in other contexts besides mathematics?

Yes, the divide sign can also be used in other contexts such as computer programming and coding. It is used to represent division in programming languages and can also be used as a symbol for a path or directory in file systems.

What are some other names for the divide sign?

The divide sign is also known as the division sign, obelus, or ÷ symbol. In some countries, it is also referred to as the "obelisk" or "obelus" symbol.