1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Energy to Solve Work Problem

1. Oct 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A truck is traveling at 11.1 m/s down a hill when the brakes on all four wheels lock. The hill makes an angle of 15.0° with respect to the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the tires and the road is 0.750. How far does the truck travel before coming to a stop? Use energy to solve this problem.

2. Relevant equations

fk = Ef - Ei
    fk = μk*FN
    FN=mgcos15°

3. The attempt at a solution

First, I found the work done by the friction force: Wfk = S(μkFN)cos180°
    Wfk = μk(mgcos15°)(-1)

Then I solved for the work done by friction using the energy equation:
    W = 1/2(mv2) +mgy - 1/2(mvi2) -mgyi
    W = 0 + mgy - 1/2(mvi2) - 0

then I set the two equations equal to one another:
    μk(mgcos15°)(-1) = mgy - 1/2(mvi2)

the m's cancelled out and I solved for y:

y = μk(gcos15°)(-1) + 1/2(vi2) / g

and plugged in values:

y = (0.750)(9.8m/s2)(cos15°)(-1) + 1/2(11.0)2 / 9.8m/s2

and got: y = 6.90 m

knowing that the truck was traveling at 15°, sin15° = y/s
    s = 6.90/sin15°
    s = 26.7m

the correct answer should be 13.5m. Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2012 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

Should that 180° angle you used have actually been 15° ?

4. Oct 20, 2012 #3
    I thought that the in the formula W = sfcos∅ , the angle ∅ should represent the angle between the direction of s and the corresponding force, which in this case would be friction...and those two directions are 180° apart, right?

5. Oct 20, 2012 #4
    Where did s go in your Wfk equation? Also, what is the first equation in the relevant equations section? Don't use y in your potential energy equation, write in terms of s.

6. Oct 21, 2012 #5
    Oops, looks like I dropped the s. Looks like that would make

y = sμk(gcos15°)(-1) + 1/2(11.0)2 / 9.8 m/s2

could I then relate s and y through sin? Am I even on the right track?

The first equation is Wother = ΔE , other in this case meaning friction. Was given to me by my professor. But s and y are representing two different things, and y is a reflection of the incorporation of gravitational potential energy into the problem so I don't see how I can get around using it?

7. Oct 21, 2012 #6
    Go back a step or two and write out the Wfk=ΔKE+ΔPE equation. Don't use y, use s and θ. Also, keep a close eye on the signs. s is downwards, but both ΔEs should be negative.

8. Oct 21, 2012 #7
    Finally got the correct answer, thank you very very much :smile:

9. Oct 21, 2012 #8
    You're welcome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook