Using feedback in quantum measurements

In summary: A_1## for all ##n##. This is done by finding a unitary operator that depends only on the results of the measurements, and not on the initial state.
Johny Boy
If we consider an efficient measurement performed on a system in a pure state. How would we use feedback (by applying to the system a unitary operator that depends upon the measurement result), to prepare the system in the same final state for every outcome of the measurement (this can be done for any efficient measurement).

So I think the idea is that say we start with a pure state $$\rho = | \psi \rangle \langle \psi|$$ and some desired final state after measurement $$\tilde{\rho}_n = \frac{A_n \rho A_n^{\dagger}}{p_n} = \frac{A_n | \psi \rangle \langle \psi | A_n ^{\dagger}}{p_n},$$ then we seek a unitary operator $$U_m$$ such that if $$m \neq n$$ then $$U_m A_m = A_n$$ thus resulting in $$\tilde{\rho}_m = \frac{U_mA_m | \psi \rangle \langle \psi | A_m^{\dagger}U^{\dagger}}{p_m} = \frac{A_n | \psi \rangle \langle \psi | A_n^{\dagger}}{p_n} = \tilde{\rho}_n.$$ I'm having difficulty thinking of how we could define this unitary operator $$U_m$$?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does it have to be efficient? Can the post-measurement states be non-orthogonal?

If not, and there are ##N## possible measurement results, then just use a permutation like ##P = \sum_k^N | A_k \rangle \langle A_{k+1 \pmod{N}}|##. Then a valid corrective unitary operation is ##U_m = P^{m} = \sum_k^N | A_k \rangle \langle A_{k+m \pmod{N}}|##.

Strilanc said:
Does it have to be efficient? Can the post-measurement states be non-orthogonal?

If not, and there are ##N## possible measurement results, then just use a permutation like ##P = \sum_k^N | A_k \rangle \langle A_{k+1 \pmod{N}}|##. Then a valid corrective unitary operation is ##U_m = P^{m} = \sum_k^N | A_k \rangle \langle A_{k+m \pmod{N}}|##.
Thanks for your response. There is no restriction on the post-measurement states, but it has to be efficient.
I'm not really following what you are doing, ##A_n## as I have it is a measurement operator, yet you have it as a ket and a bra? Could you please elaborate a bit on your idea.

Johny Boy said:
Thanks for your response. There is no restriction on the post-measurement states, but it has to be efficient.
I'm not really following what you are doing, ##A_n## as I have it is a measurement operator, yet you have it as a ket and a bra? Could you please elaborate a bit on your idea.

Well, I assumed that each measurement result corresponded to a particular vector in a basis (specifically the eigenbasis of the Hermitian operator defining the measurement). I used ##A## to refer to these vectors. And I know that there are valid easily-written unitary operations that simply permute the vectors of a basis, so I defined the operation that way.

Strilanc said:
Well, I assumed that each measurement result corresponded to a particular vector in a basis (specifically the eigenbasis of the Hermitian operator defining the measurement). I used ##A## to refer to these vectors. And I know that there are valid easily-written unitary operations that simply permute the vectors of a basis, so I defined the operation that way.
Okay but how would this imply that $u_m A_m | \psi \rangle = A_n | \psi \rangle$? Are you famaliar with the fundamental theorem of quantum measurements? I think there might be a simpler way.

Johny Boy said:
Okay but how would this imply that $u_m A_m | \psi \rangle = A_n | \psi \rangle$? Are you famaliar with the fundamental theorem of quantum measurements? I think there might be a simpler way.

The permutations I defined have ##P^m## send ##a_m## to ##a_0## for all ##m##, where ##a_m## is the state of the system given that you measured ##A_m##. To make it work for ##a_{n \neq 0}##, just re-index the basis vectors.

Strilanc said:
The permutations I defined have ##P^m## send ##a_m## to ##a_0## for all ##m##, where ##a_m## is the state of the system given that you measured ##A_m##. To make it work for ##a_{n \neq 0}##, just re-index the basis vectors.

I think I confused myself...
I think the statement implies something else, that given a state ##\rho = | \psi \rangle \langle \psi|## we could define a unitary operator ##U_m## (which depends on measurement result $m$ such that) such that for every ##\tilde{\rho}_m = \frac{A_m \rho A^{\dagger}_{m}}{p_m}## we have ##U_m \rho U^{\dagger}_{m} = \tilde{\rho}_{m}##. An idea would be to consider the operator ##V_m := U_{m}^{\dagger}A_m## but I'm not sure we can
definitively state that this is a unitary operator?

Johny Boy said:
I think I confused myself...
I think the statement implies something else, that given a state ##\rho = | \psi \rangle \langle \psi|## we could define a unitary operator ##U_m## (which depends on measurement result $m$ such that) such that for every ##\tilde{\rho}_m = \frac{A_m \rho A^{\dagger}_{m}}{p_m}## we have ##U_m \rho U^{\dagger}_{m} = \tilde{\rho}_{m}##. An idea would be to consider the operator ##V_m := U_{m}^{\dagger}A_m## but I'm not sure we can
definitively state that this is a unitary operator?

I managed to resolve it I think. The idea is that since ##\rho## is pure, we can find a unitary operator such that ##U_n | \psi \rangle = A_n | \psi \rangle ## the result follows easily from that observation.

1. What is feedback in quantum measurements?

Feedback in quantum measurements refers to the process of using information obtained from previous measurements to adjust or modify subsequent measurements. This allows for a more accurate and precise measurement of a quantum system.

2. Why is feedback important in quantum measurements?

Feedback is important in quantum measurements because it allows for the minimization of errors and uncertainties in the measurement process. It also enables the manipulation and control of quantum systems, which is essential for various applications in quantum technology.

3. How does feedback work in quantum measurements?

In quantum measurements, feedback involves using the information obtained from previous measurements to adjust the parameters of subsequent measurements. This can be achieved through various techniques such as quantum state tomography, quantum error correction, and quantum feedback control.

4. What are the benefits of using feedback in quantum measurements?

The benefits of using feedback in quantum measurements include improved accuracy and precision, enhanced control and manipulation of quantum systems, and the ability to mitigate errors and uncertainties in measurements. It also allows for the implementation of advanced quantum protocols and technologies.

5. Are there any challenges associated with using feedback in quantum measurements?

Yes, there are several challenges associated with using feedback in quantum measurements. These include technical limitations in implementing feedback control, the potential for introducing noise and disturbances in the measurement process, and the complexity of analyzing and interpreting the feedback data. Further research and development are needed to overcome these challenges and fully harness the potential of feedback in quantum measurements.