1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Intermediate Value Theorem to prove # of polynomial roots

1. Oct 31, 2011 #1
    I've heard there's a proof out there of this, basically that (I think) you can use the intermediate value theorem to prove that an Nth-degree polynomial has no more than N roots.

I'm not in school anymore, just an interested engineer. Does anyone know where I can find this proof or any really strong hints on how to do it myself? I've been out of it for a while and I'm rusty.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2011 #2

Deveno

Science Advisor

well the crux of any such proof is going to be that the derivative of an Nth-degree polynomial is going to be an (N-1)-th degree polynomial.

you don't even need limits for this, you can just define a derivative formally using the power rule.

why derivatives? because, in general, all one can say at the outset, is that a polynomial of odd degree has at least one root. to bring the IVT to bear, one has to find out how many times a polynomial p(x) can "change direction", that is, when its slope changes sign.

for an partial example of how this becomes an induction proof:

suppose p(x) is of degree 2, so that p(x) = ax2 + bx + c. then p'(x) = 2ax + b, (and by assumption, a ≠ 0), so p'(x) has one root (-b/(2a), in fact).

this means that p(x) changes direction exactly once (for higher degrees it becomes "at most n-1 times" because some of the "humps" might not exist (f(x) = x3 doesn't have any, for example), so it can cross the x-axis at most twice (once going up, once going down).

you should be able to generalize, and make this a bit more rigorous, from this little bit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook