Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using lightbulbs to circulate the air in my room

1. Oct 5, 2009 #1
    If I have lightbulbs at varying heights around the room will the heat push blobs of air around the room and circulate it. Even without a fan or anything blowing.

Like the variance in heat and humidity in my room will make the air travel looking for a more comfortable spot?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2009 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Warm air rises, so yes, if you put a light bulb in the room it will create convection.

4. Oct 6, 2009 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:rolleyes: I think you have to turn it on first. :wink: o:)

Probably best to try to create a chimney effect …

put a tube nearly from the floor to the ceiling (maybe with holes at intervals in the sides), and place a weak heat source beneath it. :smile:

(Of course, if it's cooler outside the room, just run the tube diagonally out of the window, and you won't need a heat source …

even a plank of wood would do: cold air will roll down the topside, and warm air will roll up the underside :wink:)

5. Oct 6, 2009 #4

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

I once tried to do something similar back in high school with a 2 gallon cell model I was making--have water (containing sparkle ribosomes) recirculating throughout the cell using a 100W light bulb shining into the bottom. Didn't really work, which was a shame since I put so much time into it.

In retrospect, the medium was probably too dense and there wouldn't have been a way to create the temperature gradient to get that little water recirculating from the bottom to the top. I probably would've been better off using a propeller or aquarium pump. And in all likelihood, so would you (well, a little ceiling fan, at any rate, unless you're talking a really massive space).

6. Oct 6, 2009 #5
  7. Oct 6, 2009 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, nice! Thanks, those are great lamps in that link. I think my aunt had one.

I guess now that most lights are compact fluorescent or LCD, these kinds of motion lamps are gone forever...too bad.

8. Oct 6, 2009 #7
    I know someone who used strings of lights wrapped around a spiral staircase to create the same effect. He insists it worked. The results weren't as obvious to visitors. If there was a downward draft, the stairs probably deflected the flow.

9. Oct 9, 2009 #8
    what about in my bathroom if i want to dry the room? Keep the lightbulb near the floor.

Should I close the window and doors for greatest effect on drying it?

10. Oct 9, 2009 #9

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

don't put dangerous electrics in a bathroom!

uhh? :redface: the water has to go somewhere

how will the room dry if there's no way out? :confused:

and don't put dangerous electrics in a bathroom!

11. Oct 9, 2009 #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

By the way....I hope you realize that while it is true that air will move, the cooling effect you will get will be swamped by the radiant energy of the light bulbs. You are much better off with a fan.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook