Using mathmatica, solving single equation

• Thread starter kougou
  • Start date
In summary, Mathematica is a computational software program developed by Wolfram Research used for tasks such as data analysis, visualization, and mathematical computations. It can solve a wide range of equations including algebraic, differential, integral, and transcendental equations. Equations can be entered using the input bar or keyboard shortcut "Ctrl + =" and Mathematica uses a combination of symbolic and numerical methods to solve them. It can also handle equations with unknown constants by using the "Solve" function and specifying the constant as a variable.
kougou
Hi

I am trying to use mathmatica to solve single equation:

So :I enter "solve[x^2+2x-2==0,x]"
But that is what I get:

input[1]=solve[x^2+2x-2==0,x]
output[1]=solve[ false,0]

Why doesn't it solve the equation

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you capitalize "Solve"?

kougou said:
Hi

I am trying to use mathmatica to solve single equation:

So :I enter "solve[x^2+2x-2==0,x]"
But that is what I get:

input[1]=solve[x^2+2x-2==0,x]
output[1]=solve[ false,0]

Why doesn't it solve the equation

Write "solve" with capital "s"

Solve[x^2+2x-2==0,x]

ehild

TSny beat me :)

Related to Using mathmatica, solving single equation

What is Mathematica?

Mathematica is a computational software program developed by Wolfram Research. It is commonly used in scientific, engineering, and mathematical fields for tasks such as data analysis, visualization, and mathematical computations.

What types of equations can be solved using Mathematica?

Mathematica can solve a wide range of equations including algebraic, differential, integral, and transcendental equations. It can also handle systems of equations and equations with multiple variables.

How do I enter an equation into Mathematica?

To enter an equation into Mathematica, you can use the input bar at the top of the screen or use the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl + =" to open a new input cell. Then, you can enter the equation using standard mathematical notation.

What methods does Mathematica use to solve equations?

Mathematica uses a combination of symbolic and numerical methods to solve equations. It can use algebraic manipulation, integration, and differentiation to simplify equations and find solutions. It also uses numerical algorithms to find approximate solutions for more complex equations.

Can Mathematica solve equations with unknown constants?

Yes, Mathematica can solve equations with unknown constants. You can use the "Solve" function and specify the constant as a variable. Mathematica will then find a solution that satisfies the equation for any value of the constant.