Using Natural Logarithms to solve for x

In summary, to solve for x in terms of y using natural logarithms, you can first multiply both sides of the equation by the denominator and then multiply by an LCD of e^{10x}. From there, you can put all terms of the form e^{20x} on one side of the equation, factor it out, and take the logarithm to get x = \frac{ln\frac{y+1}{y-1}}{20}.
adillhoff

Homework Statement

Use Natural Logarithms to solve for x in terms of y

[tex]y = \frac{e^{10x}+e^{-10x}}{e^{10x}-e^{-10x}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

I am not too sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I multiplied both sides by the denominator first.
Then I multiply by an LCD of [tex]e^{10x}[/tex]
I end up with [tex]y(e^{20x})-y = (e^{20x})+1[/tex]

EDIT: I don't really know where to go from here. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From were you ended up, you could proceed by putting all terms of the form [tex]e^{20x}[/tex] to one side of the equation. Then factor it out and take the logarithm.

micromass said:
From were you ended up, you could proceed by putting all terms of the form [tex]e^{20x}[/tex] to one side of the equation. Then factor it out and take the logarithm.

Absolutely. Thank you so much for the help. I ended up with

[tex]x=\frac{ln\frac{y+1}{y-1}}{20}[/tex]

1. How do I solve for x using natural logarithms?

To solve for x using natural logarithms, you must first isolate the variable on one side of the equation. Then, take the natural logarithm of both sides of the equation. This will allow you to use the properties of logarithms to solve for x.

2. What is the difference between natural logarithms and common logarithms?

Natural logarithms, denoted as ln, use the base e (approximately equal to 2.718) while common logarithms, denoted as log, use the base 10. This means that the natural logarithm of a number is equivalent to the power to which e must be raised to equal that number, while the common logarithm of a number is equivalent to the power to which 10 must be raised to equal that number.

3. Can I use natural logarithms to solve for x in any equation?

Yes, natural logarithms can be applied to any equation that contains a variable in the exponent, as long as the equation is in exponential form. This includes exponential growth and decay, compound interest, and other mathematical and scientific models.

4. How do I enter natural logarithms on a calculator?

Most scientific calculators have a button labeled "ln" or "log" that can be used to calculate natural logarithms. Simply enter the number you want to take the natural logarithm of, then press the "ln" or "log" button to get the result.

5. Can natural logarithms be negative?

Yes, natural logarithms can be negative for values between 0 and 1. This is because the natural logarithm of a fraction is a negative number. However, the natural logarithm of a negative number is undefined.