Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Norton Ghost to Copy VM Setup?

1. May 22, 2017 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi all,
    There is a VM setup at work that I would like to copy into my home PC. Would Norton Ghost be able to do the job? Are there other ways ( A VPN is not an option, just in case)? I am just curious, since the VM is itself just software, why is it not possible to just save it as a file and upload it ?

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2017 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Modern software is never just a file. Applications, as part of their installation process, (1) put things in the registry and (2) have a registration process that requires a password (or "key"). Just copying the application's executable and ancillary files and dumping them onto a different computer, will do neither of those things. If what you are asking was possible, a great many people would never pay for any applications, they would just bootleg them.

4. May 22, 2017 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks. You're pretty smart for a cute furry dog ;).

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  5. May 22, 2017 #4
    You shouldn't need to use imaging software to simply copy a VM, should just be able to shut the VM off and export it to .OVA/.OVF (if using VMware). If you can't find a VM export option, just copy the VM directory (includes all the configuration data and virtual disks) to a USB drive and save to the destination computer running the same VM software.

6. May 22, 2017 #5

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Is this a massive shaggy dog compliment or what?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted