Using oxalic acid as a primary standard

In summary, oxalic acid, with the formula HOOC-COOH, can be used as a primary standard to standardise a basic solution, such as sodium hydroxide. It is available as a standard solution from Aldrich (Fixanal) and can be used in an acid-base neutralization reaction to form sodium oxalate and water. An indicator, such as phenolphthalein, can be used to indicate the end point of the titration. Oxalic acid can also be used in alkalimetry, but it is important to dry it to ensure it is in its dihydrate form.
danago
Gold Member
Hi. Can oxalic acid be used as a primary standard to standardise a basic solution, such as sodium hydroxide?

I can't think of any reason why it couldn't be used, but i could very much be missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is available as a standard solution from Aldrich (Fixanal).

What is forumla of oxalic acid?

formula of oxalic acid is HOOC-COOH (ethanedicarboxylic acid)

Would it just be a standard acid base neutralization reaction, where the acid reacts with a base, such as NaOH, to form a salt, sodium oxalate, plus water. Id need to use an indicator such as phenolphthalein though, to indicate the end point of the titration.

yes. I have done titration of oxalic acid with potassium permanganate (KMnO4;it is a self indicator)

Sourabh N said:
yes. I have done titration of oxalic acid with potassium permanganate (KMnO4;it is a self indicator)

yea so have i, but i was just wondering if it could be used as a primary standard with a basic solution, such as NaOH. I know it works with KMnO4

It works for alkalimetry as well. Just remember to dry it to be sure it is exactly dihydrate.

ok that's the answer i was after :) Thanks

What is oxalic acid and why is it used as a primary standard?

Oxalic acid is a chemical compound with the formula H2C2O4. It is commonly used as a primary standard in analytical chemistry because it has a high level of purity and can be easily obtained in a crystalline form.

How is oxalic acid prepared as a primary standard?

Oxalic acid can be prepared as a primary standard by dissolving a known mass of pure oxalic acid crystals in a specific volume of distilled water. The resulting solution can then be used to accurately determine the concentration of other solutions through titration.

What are the advantages and limitations of using oxalic acid as a primary standard?

The main advantage of using oxalic acid as a primary standard is its high purity, which ensures accurate and consistent results. However, one limitation is that it can only be used for acid-base titrations and may not be suitable for other types of reactions.

How do you determine the concentration of a solution using oxalic acid as a primary standard?

To determine the concentration of a solution using oxalic acid as a primary standard, a known volume of the solution is titrated with the oxalic acid solution. The volume of oxalic acid required to neutralize the solution is used to calculate the concentration of the solution being tested.

Can oxalic acid be used as a primary standard for all types of analyses?

No, oxalic acid is primarily used as a primary standard for acid-base titrations. It may not be suitable for other types of analyses, such as redox reactions, as it may not accurately react with all compounds.