1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using oxalic acid as a primary standard

1. Mar 27, 2007 #1

danago

Gold Member

Hi. Can oxalic acid be used as a primary standard to standardise a basic solution, such as sodium hydroxide?

I cant think of any reason why it couldnt be used, but i could very much be missing something.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2007 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is available as a standard solution from Aldrich (Fixanal).

4. Mar 28, 2007 #3
    What is forumla of oxalic acid?

5. Mar 28, 2007 #4
    formula of oxalic acid is HOOC-COOH (ethanedicarboxylic acid)

6. Mar 28, 2007 #5

danago

Gold Member

Would it just be a standard acid base neutralization reaction, where the acid reacts with a base, such as NaOH, to form a salt, sodium oxalate, plus water. Id need to use an indicator such as phenolphthalein though, to indicate the end point of the titration.

7. Mar 28, 2007 #6
    yes. I have done titration of oxalic acid with potassium permanganate (KMnO4;it is a self indicator)

8. Mar 28, 2007 #7

danago

Gold Member

yea so have i, but i was just wondering if it could be used as a primary standard with a basic solution, such as NaOH. I know it works with KMnO4

9. Mar 28, 2007 #8

Borek

Staff: Mentor

It works for alkalimetry as well. Just remember to dry it to be sure it is exactly dihydrate.

10. Mar 28, 2007 #9

danago

Gold Member

ok thats the answer i was after :) Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?