Using t-tests to get trials until significance ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of t-tests to determine the number of trials needed for a logarithmic regression line and the challenges of using data with potentially different means and variances. The formula for the t-test for unequal variances is provided and a question is raised about its applicability in this scenario. A link to a Wikipedia article on required sample sizes for hypothesis tests is referenced for additional information.
mirumirai
Using t-tests to get "trials until significance"?

Hi all,
I am stumped on how to achieve this with the data I have. My PI thinks there is a way, but I can't seem to find it. We want to see whether we should go ahead with this experiment or if it will take too much time.

Basically, I have 2 sets of data. I am looking to see which one conforms to a logarithmic regression line better, i.e. which one has better fit. To do that, I checked the r^2 values, and then did a t-test for unequal variance on the residual sum of squares. The difference was miniscule (p=.73).

Now, what I have at the moment is the formula for the t-test for unequal variances:
t=(xa-xb)/sqrt((sa+sb)/n)

where xa and xb are the sample means, sa and sb are the sample variances, and n is the number of trials (the actual formula uses sa/na + sb/nb, but I have the same number of data points for each set of data)

I manipulated it to show how many trials I need until t=1.96 (basically just close to significance)
n=(sa+sb)/((xa-xb)/t)^2

The issue I have with this, though, is that the means and variances could be different. How can I use this to calculate the estimated number of trials when the data I have may not be accurate? Is there even a way to do this?
Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org

What is a t-test and how is it used in scientific research?

A t-test is a statistical test used to compare the means of two groups. It is commonly used in scientific research to determine if there is a significant difference between two sets of data.

What is the purpose of using t-tests to get trials until significance?

The purpose of using t-tests to get trials until significance is to determine the minimum number of trials needed to achieve a statistically significant result. This helps researchers determine the appropriate sample size for their study and ensures that their results are reliable and accurate.

How do you interpret the results of a t-test?

The results of a t-test are typically presented as a p-value, which represents the probability of obtaining the observed results by chance alone. A p-value of less than 0.05 is considered statistically significant, indicating that there is a low likelihood that the results are due to chance.

What are the assumptions of using t-tests in research?

The assumptions of using t-tests in research include:

• The data is normally distributed
  • The variances of the two groups being compared are equal
  • The observations are independent of each other
If these assumptions are not met, alternative statistical tests may need to be used.

What are the limitations of using t-tests in research?

Some limitations of using t-tests in research include:

• They can only be used to compare the means of two groups
  • The results may be affected by outliers in the data
  • The sample size needs to be large enough to accurately represent the population
Additionally, t-tests do not provide information about the direction or magnitude of the difference between the two groups.