1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

V=[k(q)/r] + [k(-q)/r] Finding the points where v is equal to zero.

1. Oct 20, 2013 #1
    Hello!

First of all, thank you for your time in reading my post. Secondly, I am not looking for people to freely give me the answers. With all that said...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a test point randomly selected on a graph, but what I am trying to figure out is where on this graph would this test point or potential difference would be equal to 0 between two charges. I picked three points, q is at (x,y), (-q) is at (x1,y1) and my test point is at (x2,y2). So with this I should be able to set the equation up and go from there.

Where: v is volts, k is 8.99*10^9 (Nm^2)/c^2, q is charges in coulombs and r is the distance between the two points or the distance formula √(x2-x1)^2+(y2-y1))

2. Relevant equations

V=[k(q)/r] + [k(-q)/r]
    distance formula √(x2-x1)^2+(y2-y1))

3. The attempt at a solution

set v equal to zero you get:

0=(8.99*10^9)(q)/(√((x2-x1)^2+(y2-y1)^2) + (8.99*10^9)(-q)/√((x2-x)^2 +(y2-y)^2)

move (8.99*10^9)(-q)/√((x2-x)^2 +(y2-y)^2) to the right side.

-(8.99*10^9)(-q)/√((x2-x)^2 +(y2-y)^2) = (8.99*10^9)(q)/(√((x2-x1)^2+(y2-y1)^2)

from here 8.99*10^9 cancel out.

-(-q)/√((x2-x)^2 +(y2-y)^2) = (q)/(√((x2-x1)^2+(y2-y1)^2)

multiply the negative sign on the left.

(+q)/√((x2-x)^2 +(y2-y)^2) = (q)/(√((x2-x1)^2+(y2-y1)^2)

Now the q cancel out.

1/√((x2-x)^2 +(y2-y)^2) = 1/(√((x2-x1)^2+(y2-y1)^2)

I then square both sides to get:

1/((x2-x)^2 +(y2-y)^2) = 1/((x2-x1)^2+(y2-y1)^2)

and from here I am lost.

Any advice on where I should go from here would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

To continue with your method, you could simply invert each side. Then multiplying out will lead to a lot of simplification. Since the charges are equal and opposite, it is evident that the solution will be the locus of points equidistant from the two charges, i.e. the perpendicular bisector of the line segment joining them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted