Vacuum possible from Gaede mercury pump from 1913.

In summary, the conversation discusses an undergraduate capstone project involving computer simulation of an experiment from 1913, in which the authors attempted to achieve a high vacuum using a Gaede mercury pump and other measures. However, they did not specify what they considered a high vacuum. The participants in the conversation also mention a Scientific American article from the 1960s that discusses the challenges of achieving low pressures and the use of a mercury diffusion pump in achieving a vacuum below 10-5 torr. They also mention the use of a cryotrap to further improve the vacuum.
sum10fishy
I am working on a computer simulation for an undergraduate capstone project. In the simulation I am trying to model an experiment done by Moseley and Harling in 1913 described in the paper The Attainment of High Potentials by the Use of Radium found in the Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series A, Containing Papers of a Mathematical and Physical Character Vol. 88, No. 605, Jul. 1, 1913.

In the paper they draw a vacuum using a Gaede mercury pump while heating their apparatus as well as some other measures to try and achieve a very high vacuum, however, they never state what they consider a high vacuum.

Does anyone know what was considered the highest possible vacuum in 1913? I have done a good deal of searching but have had no luck in finding what vacuum was possible with this pump or at that time.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Scientific American did an excellent writeup on the various vacuum pump options and the issues arising at really low pressures, below .001 Tor. This was sometime in the 1960s, if memory serves, but it would answer your question.

I used a mercury diffusion pump (quite) some time ago. With a bit of heating the vacuum got down below 10-5 torr.
Of course there was a cryotrap between the pump and the vacuum vessel (liquid nitrogen).

Thank you both for the replies! I will see if I can get my hands on a copy of that article.

1. How does a Gaede mercury pump from 1913 create a vacuum?

A Gaede mercury pump works by using a rotating piston to push and compress mercury vapor. As the vapor is compressed, it is forced through a narrow tube, creating a vacuum behind it. This process is repeated until the desired level of vacuum is achieved.

2. What is the maximum vacuum possible from a Gaede mercury pump from 1913?

The maximum vacuum that can be achieved with a Gaede mercury pump from 1913 is approximately 10^-6 torr. This level of vacuum is considered high vacuum and is suitable for many scientific experiments and industrial processes.

3. Can a Gaede mercury pump from 1913 be used for all types of gases?

No, a Gaede mercury pump is specifically designed for pumping out non-corrosive gases. It is not suitable for corrosive gases or gases that can react with mercury, as this can damage the pump and affect its performance.

4. How does the vacuum level of a Gaede mercury pump from 1913 compare to modern vacuum pumps?

The vacuum level of a Gaede mercury pump from 1913 is lower than that of modern vacuum pumps such as turbo pumps or ion pumps. However, for its time, the Gaede pump was considered a highly efficient and powerful vacuum pump.

5. Are Gaede mercury pumps still used today?

Yes, Gaede mercury pumps are still used in some scientific and industrial applications, although they have largely been replaced by more modern and efficient vacuum pumps. They are still valued for their ability to achieve high levels of vacuum and their durability.