1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vacuum question

1. Dec 16, 2007 #1
    This is my first post here so hello to anybody who reads this!

I just finished calculus based physics II this semester and there are a few things I want to design and make for myself to help better my understanding of what I learned in physics. One is device I have seen that generates an electron beam and uses a magnetic field to give the electrons circular motion. The part of it that I am the least comfortable with is the vacuum. The question I have is this: What sort of pressure do I need in the vacuum so that the tube is evacuated enough to allow the electrons freedom to move?

Also, I understand that helium gas will fluoresce when struck by the moving electrons. But how much helium per unit volume is needed? Currently I am considering the use of mercury vapor instead because it would be very easy for me to add a bit of mercury before I evacuate the tube/housing. I would appreciate any opinions on this because I intend to do a complete design before I attempt any assembly.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2007 #2
    Mercury vapour is a greater health risk than the Helium and alternatives...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas-discharge_lamp may give you some ideas or links.

I assume these are the Teltron ( 3BScientific now own them ) or similar demonstration tubes you are talking about, they normally use Neon (classed as residual amounts)
    http://www.3bscientific.co.uk/shop/u.k./physics/teltron,pg_83_675_0_0.html

As for the actual pressures I do not know, but I assume the lower the better ;) and then with the gas it'll be enough to make it visible.
    Try it the traditional way... trial and error :D

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  4. Dec 19, 2007 #3
    Why would you want an electronic device to cause the electron beam to cirulate? Unless you want them to radiate due to loss of angular momentum.

5. Dec 19, 2007 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Why build one? Couldn't you just buy a used oscilloscope or tv?

6. Dec 19, 2007 #5
    Thanks for the link to the gas-lamp, bsimmo. That did give me some good ideas and I hadn't thought about it before, but different gasses give me different colors so I can go for style too! And I agree with what you said about doing things the traditional way...as far as the pressure goes, all I know is the lower the better and it's looking like I'll just have to put a guage on it and see what works. And yes! that Teltron thing is basically the same thing I am making. I'm going to look at that closer tonight and see if they give any of the specs.

To Russ, I had thought about doing something like that (at the least getting a heater-cathode/anode set up that way). But I really want to make this all myself...or atleast as much as I can.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook