Van der Waals force (Lenard-Jones)

In summary, the Lennard-Jones potential energy is typically used for symmetric particles, but it can be modified to account for asymmetric forces. It is not clear if this has been done before. The size of particles can also affect the interaction potential energy, but it is unclear if this would result in an asymmetric energy.
Ferra
Hi everyone

I'd like to know the Lennard-Jones potential energy is just for symmetric particles or we can use it for asymmetric forces too? If not how can I define the potential energy between two asymmetric particles?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The Lennard-Jones potential is a central potential, and therefore assumes spherical particles. I guess it could be modified such that the parameters of the potenial depend on the relative orientation of the two particles. I am not aware if this has been done before.

Thank you so much for your information. Actually except the orientation I'd like to know if the size of the particles also cause the interaction potential energy to be asymmetric or not?

I don't understand. Asymmetric with respect to what?

For example for two cylindrical particles with different length this interaction energy is symmetric or the longer one has more influence on the shorter one?

1. What is the Van der Waals force (Lenard-Jones)?

The Van der Waals force, also known as the Lenard-Jones force, is a weak attractive force that exists between neutral atoms or molecules. It is caused by the temporary dipole moments that occur when the electrons in an atom or molecule are not evenly distributed.

2. How is the Van der Waals force (Lenard-Jones) different from other types of forces?

The Van der Waals force is different from other types of forces, such as ionic or covalent bonds, because it is a temporary force that only exists when atoms or molecules are in close proximity to each other. It is also much weaker than these other types of forces.

3. What are the factors that affect the strength of the Van der Waals force (Lenard-Jones)?

The strength of the Van der Waals force depends on the distance between the atoms or molecules, the polarizability of the atoms or molecules, and the number of electrons in each atom or molecule.

4. How does the Van der Waals force (Lenard-Jones) contribute to the properties of materials?

The Van der Waals force plays a significant role in determining the physical properties of materials, such as melting point, boiling point, and viscosity. It also affects the interactions between molecules in a substance and can influence its phase changes.

5. Can the Van der Waals force (Lenard-Jones) be manipulated or controlled?

The Van der Waals force cannot be directly manipulated or controlled, but it can be affected by changing the distance between atoms or molecules, or by changing the polarizability of the atoms or molecules. It is also possible to weaken or strengthen the Van der Waals force through chemical modifications of the atoms or molecules.