Van der Waals Interaction

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of Van der Waals interaction in Quantum Mechanics class and the question of where to classify the interaction between two hydrogen atoms in their ground state. The three types of Van der Waals interactions are mentioned (dipole-dipole, dipole-induced dipole, and dispersion), and it is suggested that the interaction between two hydrogen atoms may be classified as dispersion due to the lack of dipole moments. However, it is also noted that the covalent bond between the two hydrogen atoms will be stronger than any Van der Waals interaction.
jhosamelly
I need to report about the Van der Waals interaction in our Quantum Mechanics class. Can someone please help me sort things out about Van der Waals interaction? How do go think should I go about it? In our book, the only thing discussed is the Van der Waals interaction between two hydrogen atom in their ground state.

I know the 3 types of Van der Waals interaction
1. dipole-dipole
2. dipole-induced dipole
3. dispersion

but where should I put the Van der Waals interaction between two hydrogen atom in their ground state? Where is it under?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hydrogen atoms in their ground states do not have dipole moments, so I imagine you'd classify the interaction as a dispersion (induced dipole-induced dipole). But this is a weird question because the covalent bond formed between two hydrogen atoms will be much stronger than any sort of van der Waals interaction.

1. What is Van der Waals interaction?

Van der Waals interaction, also known as London dispersion force, is a weak intermolecular force that exists between atoms and molecules due to temporary shifts in electron density. It is responsible for holding molecules together in liquids and solids.

2. How is Van der Waals interaction different from other types of chemical bonds?

Unlike covalent or ionic bonds, Van der Waals interaction is a weak force that does not involve the sharing or transfer of electrons. It only occurs between neutral atoms or molecules and its strength depends on the molecular size and shape.

3. What are some examples of molecules that experience Van der Waals interaction?

Van der Waals interaction can be observed in all molecules, but it is most significant in nonpolar molecules such as noble gases, hydrocarbons, and halogens. It also plays a crucial role in the properties of biological molecules like proteins and DNA.

4. How does temperature affect Van der Waals interaction?

As temperature increases, the average kinetic energy of molecules also increases, causing them to move faster. This leads to a decrease in the strength of Van der Waals interaction as the distance between molecules increases, making them more likely to break apart.

5. Can Van der Waals interaction be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, Van der Waals interaction can be manipulated by changing the molecular size or shape of molecules. For example, increasing the molecular size or introducing polar groups can strengthen the interaction, while decreasing the size or adding bulky groups can weaken it. This can have significant effects on the properties of materials and can be utilized in various applications, such as in drug design and materials science.