1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vanishing measure of a set with codimenon 2

1. Jul 14, 2008 #1
    Hey everyone,
    I am integrating something (specifically 2-forms, but I think this is a general statement) over a set B of (real) codimension 2 in a 4-manifold (CP_2). I've been told that the measure of a set of codimension 2 will vanish, but I don't really understand why. I've been thinking about exterior products and hodge duals but I can't seem to understand it from that direction. Does anyone have any insights?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2008 #2
    This isn't a statement about differential manifolds or anything like it - it's just measure theory.

I'm not going to attempt a rigorous proof, but explain by example/analogy. Think of a line in R^3, which has codimension 2. The lebesgue measure of that is zero. This you can prove rigorously, but non-rigorously something that is locally 1-dimensional has no (3-dimensional) volume.

4. Jul 16, 2008 #3
    Ok I see that's actually pretty simple. I guess I was thinking that integrating something like a line in R^3 should be dl (like a 1D integral), which isn't generally zero but if you took the volume integral dV=dxdydz (or whatever) over the line you would get zero. Ok, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?