Vapor composition from bubble-point temp.

In summary, the bubble-point temperature is the temperature at which the first vapor bubble forms in a liquid-vapor mixture at a given pressure. This affects vapor composition by determining the amount of vapor present. The bubble-point temperature can be influenced by factors such as pressure, temperature, and composition. There is a direct relationship between bubble-point temperature and vapor pressure, with an increase in one leading to an increase in the other. It can be calculated using thermodynamic equations or measured experimentally through boiling point determination or vapor-liquid equilibrium experiments.
zaboda42
Suppose you have a mixture of 30 mol% pentane and 70 mol% hexane at 1 atm and 60oC.

If the Tbubble-point = 55.1oC, calculate the composition of vapor of the first bubble as the mixture is heated.

I found p*pentane = 1392.95 and p*hexane = 484.96 using Antoine's equation with T = 55.1.

Now I suppose I must use Raoult's law as:

yaP = xap*a(@55.1oC)

Using this I get xpentane = (0.7*760)/1392.96 = 0.382

However, the answer sheet says xpentane = 0.55.

Can anyone figure where I'm mistaken?

Physics news on Phys.org
You applied the equation incorrectly. y is the mole fraction in the vapor, and x is the mole fraction in the liquid.

y = (0.3)(1392.96)/760=0.550

What is the definition of bubble-point temperature?

The bubble-point temperature is the temperature at which the first vapor bubble forms in a liquid-vapor mixture at a given pressure.

How does bubble-point temperature affect vapor composition?

Bubble-point temperature affects vapor composition by determining the amount of vapor that is present in the mixture. At higher bubble-point temperatures, more vapor is present, leading to a higher vapor composition.

What factors can influence the bubble-point temperature?

The bubble-point temperature can be influenced by factors such as pressure, temperature, and the composition of the liquid and vapor phases.

What is the relationship between bubble-point temperature and vapor pressure?

There is a direct relationship between bubble-point temperature and vapor pressure. As the bubble-point temperature increases, so does the vapor pressure.

How can bubble-point temperature be calculated or measured?

Bubble-point temperature can be calculated using thermodynamic equations or measured experimentally using techniques such as boiling point determination or vapor-liquid equilibrium experiments.