Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Variable power as an axis, nonsense? please comment

1. Nov 4, 2011 #1
    Hello,
    Does anyone know if this makes sense or is usable?

I've only been able to describe it through a graph.
    Instead of the x axis being numbers, being powers of x.

Let me clarify - where normally would be x=0,1,2,3... would now be x^0, x^1, x^2, x^3
    and the y axis would be values of coefficients in a polynomial / coefficients in a power series.

Does anyone know of anything like this?
    I thought it up yesterday and have been intrigued by it.
    I don't know how to work with it though.

thanks
    austin

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2011 #2
    Yes, it's called a log scale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logarithmic_scale

4. Nov 4, 2011 #3
    this would be a log base x though right? The log plots on wiki are in base 10 and other values, but not variables. Does that make a difference?

5. Nov 4, 2011 #4
    Maybe I'm not clear on what you meant. The values on the x-axis aren't numbers? They're variables? Can you give a specific example of what you mean?

'x' is just a dummy variable that ranges over the real numbers when you're graphing a function, for example. But the x-axis represents the real numbers. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by saying it consists of variables like x^n.

6. Nov 6, 2011 #5
    The idea is like this: write out a few of the first terms in the power series of sin(x),

then mark your x axis as [itex] x^{0}, x^{1}, x^{2}, x^{3}... [/itex] in place of the integers

The coefficients of the power series, [itex]a_{n}[/itex], are the y coordinates.

Ordered pairs would be [itex](x^{0},a_{0}), (x^{1},a_{1}), (x^{2},a_{2}) [/itex] and so forth.

doing this for sin(x) -- the coefficients of the power series are 0, 1, 0, -1/6, 0, 1/120...
    Where I have used 0's for the coefficients of even powers of x.

Plotting this looks like [itex] \frac {sin()}{n!} [/itex] but I have no clue how to interpret what I've done. it does look like if we tried to fit those points, that would be an exact fit.

I find it curious that just plotting these coefficients resembles a sine function. Perhaps this could be used somehow to determine the function a power series converges to? (assuming it does converge)
    The same can be done for the cosine, and the plot looks like cos/n!.

any idea about this?

thanks
    austin

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook