Vatican warned Irish bishops not to report abuse

• News
  • Thread starter jreelawg
  • Start date
In the bold part I meant to say that the leadership stood-by and did nothing, knowing full well that more crimes will be committed by the actual pedo priests in the future.

Given the level of secrecy you've described - how do you know what they've done or not done?

Well obviously they didn't make an open blog on every cover up they've done concerning matters that can destroy the reputation, finances, and power of the Church, especially when its higher ups are appointed for life, rather than a short term.

The crimes were first revealed by the victims who came forward, and not the Vatican. Secrecy is essential if you want to keep it quiet, and under control. But when the OP reveals a direct link between the Vatican and the cover up, it begs a question whether or not the pope knew it since he is the big man of a multibillion dollar enterprise.

In the bold part I meant to say that the leadership stood-by and did nothing, knowing full well that more crimes will be committed by the actual pedo priests in the future.

Well obviously they didn't make an open blog on every cover up they've done concerning matters that can destroy the reputation, finances, and power of the Church, especially when its higher ups are appointed for life, rather than a short term.

The crimes were first revealed by the victims who came forward, and not the Vatican. Secrecy is essential if you want to keep it quiet, and under control. But when the OP reveals a direct link between the Vatican and the cover up, it begs a question whether or not the pope knew it since he is the big man of a multibillion dollar enterprise.

Those things aside - due to their secrecy - we really don't know what they've found in their investigation, nor do we know any actions taken. I posted earlier - if they want any credibility moving forward (and they have an eternal plan) they need to do whatever is necessary to prevent future tragedies.

It's not likely there will be a press conference - any "backlash" will take place behind closed doors. This is the same argument used by some to criticize another religion over terrorism. It's not realistic to expect the majority of members of a religion to openly criticize that religion over the actions of a minority group of crazy members.

The top leadership of the church can hardly be called "minority group of crazy members," even though technically, those in leadership positions might constitute a minority.

The top leadership of the church can hardly be called "minority group of crazy members," even though technically, those in leadership positions might constitute a minority.

I was talking about pedophiles and genocide-participating priests - they constitute a small (Minority) group in the Church.

I was talking about pedophiles and genocide-participating priests - they constitute a small (Minority) group in the Church.

Yet tellingly, a minority that is outsized compared to the same minority in the general public. That same minority is, amazingly, supported by a faux-family of enabling authority figures, and faces less risk of legal consequences in the church. It takes a lot of work, even "cover-our-asses!" work, to give that kind of freedom to one of the most hated type of criminal extant.

On PAPER, too many people who weren't even involved in molestation knew about this... you can imagine what must have been known on the ground.

I don't know, it may not be crazy to protect pedophiles out of pure self-interest, but it's the next best thing.