Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Vector airplane distance problem

1. Sep 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An air-traffic controller observes two aircraft on his radar screen. The first is at altitude 900 m, horizontal distance 19.0 km, and 25.0° south of west. The second aircraft is at altitude 1200 m, horizontal distance 17.6 km, and 17.0° south of west. What is the distance between the two aircraft? (Place the x axis west, the y axis south, and the z axis vertical.)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

my vectors for each airplane are:

<17.22, 8.03, .9>
    <16.83, 13.18, 2.1>

adding them together and then getting the resultant i get 36.57 kilometers, however thats wrong and i'm not sure what i did wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2012 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For your second vector, neither the y-component nor the z-component is correct.

4. Sep 1, 2012 #3

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Also, adding them together and taking the resultant is not what you want to do. Think about it. Draw a picture.

5. Sep 1, 2012 #4
    sorry that was a typo...i accidently wrote down the added values.

ahh i see, i believe i should have subtracted the vectors?

6. Sep 1, 2012 #5
    reworking the problem by subtracting, i get 2.96 km...could someone verify my answer?

7. Sep 1, 2012 #6

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Subtracting is the right thing to do to find a vector that goes from one plane to the other. Then you need to find the magnitude of this vector.

I get an answer that is pretty close to that.

8. Sep 1, 2012 #7
    ok yes that is what i did for my second answer...thank you for the help!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook