1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding position vectors of x y z in meters

1. Feb 8, 2013 #1
    Air traffic controllers usually describe the position of an aircraft relative to the airport by altitude horizontal distance and bearing . suppose an air craft altitude 1450 m , distance 24 km , and bearing 18.0 degrees east of north. what are the x,y,z components in meters of the position vector? the x axis is east the y axis is north and the z axis is vertical.

I cannot seem to find the value for x

but I have solved for
    y= 22550 m
    z=1450 m

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2013 #2

tms

How did you get you y coordinate? If you know y and the distance, how would you find x?

4. Feb 8, 2013 #3
    I found y by subtracting 24000m by 1450m

5. Feb 8, 2013 #4

tms

Why do that? 1450 m is the altitude, the z coordinate. It is independent of the horizontal position. Draw a diagram of the x-y plane.

6. Feb 9, 2013 #5
    is this suppose to make a a triangle? i tried the pythagorean theorem but it dosent seem to work.

7. Feb 9, 2013 #6

tms

Did you draw the diagram?

You have a vector in the x-y plane with a specified length and direction. You want to find out the x and y coordinates. How do you do that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook