1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector multiplication question

1. Jan 17, 2009 #1

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

I'm not sure where to put this question, since it deals with both physics and math, so I figured here would be a good starting point.

In the book of astrodynamics I'm currently reading, I came across this expansion:

[tex](\vec{r}\times\vec{v})\times\vec{r}=[\vec{v}(\vec{r}\cdot\vec{r})-\vec{r}(\vec{r}\cdot\vec{v})][/tex]

Can anyone explain how this result is arrived at? If any physical significance is needed, r is a position vector and v its derivative with respect to time, the velocity vector.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2009 #2
    Well, the standard way is just to use the vector triple product (Lagranges formula, see wikipedia):

[tex]\vec{a}\times (\vec{b}\times \vec{c})= \vec{b}(\vec{a}\cdot\vec{c}) - \vec c (\vec a\cdot \vec b)[/tex]
    (also know as the BAC CAB rule)

This relation can easily be proved, by calculating both sides (just insert [tex]\vec {a} = (a_1,a_2,a_3)[/tex] and so on).

In your case we have, [tex]\vec a = \vec c \equiv \vec r[/tex] and [tex]\vec b \equiv \dot{\vec r} = \vec v[/tex].

4. Jan 17, 2009 #3

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Ah, thank you very much :) Simply a formula I was not familiar with.

5. Jan 18, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

??? The "triple product" is just the same as the product asked about so I don't see how that answers your question, except to say "yes, it is a well known calculation". Of course, the way to see that it is true is to use some general <a, b, c>, <x, y, z> for [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{v}[/itex].

For a little more "intuitive" insight, we know that [itex]\vec{r}\times\vec{v}[/itex] is perpendicular to both [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] so the result of any vector cross [itex]\vec{r}\times\vec{v}[/itex] must be perpendicular to that vector and so in the plane spanned by [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] and can be written as a linear combination of them: [itex]a\vec{r}+ b\vec{v}[/itex]. But [itex](\vec{r}\times\vec{v})\times \vec{r}[/itex] must also be perpendicular to [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] so we must subtract off any projection onto [itex]\vec{r}[/itex]. That is the "[itex]\vec{r}(\vec{r}\cdot\vec{v}[/itex]" part.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?