Guiding center motion of charged particles in EM field

• I
  • Thread starter Korybut
  • Start date
Korybut
TL;DR Summary
Charged particle in EM field
Hello!

I am trying to figure how one can deduce guiding center motion equation according to Hazeltine and Waelbroeck "The Framework of Plasma physics". They suggest the following:
To solve equations
##\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}=\vec{v},\;\; \frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}=\frac{e}{\epsilon m}(\vec{E}+\vec{v}\times\vec{B})##
Here ##\epsilon## is book-keeping dimensionless variable. The lowest possible order of ##\epsilon## is ##\epsilon^{-1}##
they introduce new variables
##\vec{r}(t)=\vec{R}(t)+\epsilon \vec{\rho}(\vec{R},\vec{U},t,\gamma)##
##\vec{v}(t)=\vec{U}(t)+\vec{u}(\vec{R},\vec{U},t,\gamma)##
Here ##\gamma## is new independent variable describing the phase of gyrating particle. Functions ##\vec{\rho}## and ##\vec{u}## has zero mean value, i.e.
##\langle \vec{\rho}\rangle = \int_0^{2\pi} \vec{\rho}(\vec{R},\vec{U},t,\gamma)d\gamma=\langle \vec{u}\rangle= \int_0^{2\pi} \vec{u}(\vec{R},\vec{U},t,\gamma)d\gamma=0##
There is also equation for time evolution of gamma
##\frac{d\gamma}{dt}=\epsilon^{-1}\omega_{-1}(\vec{R},\vec{U},t)+\omega_0(\vec{R},\vec{U},t)+...##
Expansion for other variables looks as follows
##\vec{U}(\vec{R},t)=\vec{U}_0(\vec{R},t)+\epsilon \vec{U}_1(\vec{R},t)+...##
##\vec{\rho}(\vec{R},\vec{U},t,\gamma)=\vec{\rho}_0(\vec{R},\vec{U},t,\gamma)+\epsilon \vec{\rho}_1(\vec{R},\vec{U},t,\gamma)+...##
##\vec{u}(\vec{R},\vec{U},t,\gamma)=\vec{u}_0(\vec{R},\vec{U},t,\gamma)+\epsilon \vec{u}_1(\vec{R},\vec{U},t,\gamma)+...##

Next they plug their new variable in the original equations and taking the average with respect to ##\gamma## obtain the so called solubility conditions. For example equations of motion up to ##\epsilon^{-1}## order looks as
##\omega_{-1} \frac{\partial \vec{u}_0}{\partial \gamma}-\frac{e}{m} \vec{u}_0\times B=\frac{e}{m}(E+U_0\times B)##
taking the ##\gamma## average according to the book one obtains
##E+\vec{U}_0\times B=0##
I don't get how one should rigorously deal with this average for example
##\langle \omega_{-1}\frac{\partial \vec{u}_0}{\partial \gamma} \rangle ##
According to the authors it should be zero but I am confused. While differentiating with respect to ##t## I differentiate ##\gamma## however taking avarage ##\frac{d\gamma}{dt}## is supposed to be silent. How this is justified?

1. How does the guiding center motion of charged particles in an electromagnetic field work?

The guiding center motion of charged particles in an electromagnetic field is a theoretical concept used to describe the average motion of a charged particle in a magnetic field. It takes into account the particle's gyromotion around the magnetic field lines as well as its drift motion along the field lines.

2. What factors affect the guiding center motion of charged particles?

The guiding center motion of charged particles is influenced by the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the charge and mass of the particle, and any electric fields present in the system. Additionally, the particle's initial velocity and position can also affect its guiding center motion.

3. How is the guiding center of a charged particle calculated?

The guiding center of a charged particle can be calculated using the guiding center approximation, which separates the fast gyromotion of the particle from its slower drift motion. This approximation allows for the simplification of the equations of motion, making it easier to analyze the particle's trajectory.

4. What is the significance of studying guiding center motion in plasma physics?

Studying the guiding center motion of charged particles in plasma physics is crucial for understanding the behavior of plasmas in magnetic confinement devices such as tokamaks and stellarators. By analyzing the motion of particles in these devices, scientists can optimize their designs and improve the efficiency of controlled fusion reactions.

5. Can the guiding center motion of charged particles be experimentally observed?

While the guiding center motion of charged particles is a theoretical concept, its effects can be experimentally observed in various plasma physics experiments. Techniques such as particle tracking and magnetic diagnostics can be used to study the motion of charged particles in electromagnetic fields and validate theoretical predictions.