Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector multiply that is NOT dot or cross?

Tags:
  1. Jan 21, 2015 #1
    Hi - just working through my text (studying by correspondence) on Del operator - so Curl, div etc. Came across some identities parts of which which have me confused. what does it mean when a vector is shown as multiplying something - but without dot or cross? For example F(∇.G) or ∇(F.G) or (G.∇)F ...

I get that something like (G.∇) expands to each component of G times each component of ∇ - which is a scalar; also ∇.G is a normal dot product. So I understand f.(∇.G) and ∇.(F.G) and (G.∇).F and but am confused when the 'dot' outside the bracket is missing - how do we multiply those?

Thanks
    Alan

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Are you seeing the gradient of a scalar function? That is represented by a del operator and a capital letter which you might think is a vector.

4. Jan 21, 2015 #3
    These are all vectors, an example identity is
    ∇x(FXG) = F(∇.G) - G(∇.F) + (G.∇)F - (F.∇)G

5. Jan 22, 2015 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

6. Jan 22, 2015 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

∇.G is a scalar function so F(∇.G) is "scalar multiplication"- each component of F multiplied by ∇.G

F.G is a scalar function so ∇(F.G) is the gradient of F.G

This is the same as G(∇.F)

7. Jan 22, 2015 #6
    Nice explanation thanks hallsofivy, I could see dotting them was the only way to get anything done, but its nice to understand why.

8. Feb 3, 2015 #7
    I'm not sure this is what you're looking for, but you might want to have a look at the definition of "geometric product" in Clifford algebras, plus the concept of "geometric derivative" proposed by D. Hestenes, which generalizes div,grad,curl operators.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook